Offset smoker help - blue smoke at low temps

Etepete

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Peter
So, I got my offset smoker this winter, and I have been playing around since but am still very much a beginner.

I do a fair amount of hot smoking/roasting, and that works really well. Its easy to hit the 3-400 degree F bracket, and stay there with a nice burn and the fabled thin blue smoke.

But its a more mixed bag when I drop into more proper smoking/low and slow ranges - and in particular under 250F. I get white smoke, smoking and faltering wood chunks etc.

I usually start by firing it up to a slightly higher temp and then try to bring the temperature down by limiting airflow. Maybe I should just reduce the amount of fuel (one log only f.ex.?)

I understand that it is very much linked to how the smoker itself performs and may vary from smoker to smoker. Mine is a short 20" nette lette with 5.3 mm steel

Really grateful for any pointers!

EDIT: Sorry, I wrote "log" but meant "split"

Last edited:
I'd try using a smaller fire made with smaller splits (not fewer logs)- and let the smoker breathe. Shoot to come up to your cooking temp instead of choking the fire down. Using smaller splits, you will likely have to feed them more often. May be more difficult to keep a decent coal bed with the smaller fire, you might have to augment with some lit charcoal if your bed situation won't let your next split light. You will have to experiment with what works best for you and your cooker.
Good luck.

Yep, you need a smaller hotter fire, rather than a larger smoldering one. As suggested, start with some lit charcoal, and use smaller splits. A good fire management basket is a huge help as well.

Also preheat your splits by placing them on top of the firebox. That way they ignite right away when added and your fire will burn cleaner.

Fire as mentioned above. Also, have your stack wide open, and regulate airflow with your intake vents. You want the draw for clean smoke.

I had the same issues starting out, and learned that it's fire size, not airflow that is the way to regulate temp. Once you start choking off the airflow you get white smoke, it's more work the smaller the smoker because you have to monitor and add wood more often. Small splits, more often, and the results are very good, even at lower temps.

Also, don't try chasing the fabled 225f if your smoker doesn't want to run that low. Smallest fire you can keep going, and see where it wants to ride.

Also preheat your splits by placing them on top of the firebox. That way they ignite right away when added and your fire will burn cleaner.

Yes, I do this. The problem isn't so much when I light a new split as when I try to reduce airflow...

Thanks guys! I think that worked. I used much smaller splits, and kept a much smaller fire. I managed to maintain a nice blue smoke at 270F. Still a tad high, but I reckon I can finetune from here. The principle works.

It was a very modest cook (smoked some ham, 2h45), but turned out nice, juicy and smokey :) . Too short for a smoke ring it seems, but decent eating

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_135744.jpg
    IMG_20210523_135744.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210523_190153.jpg
    IMG_20210523_190153.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 69
Sounds like your getting her dialed in. Good advice above.
Try a Smaller fire, smaller splits, and Dryer wood helps. Some of my red oak is 2 years old under carport.

Keep your stack wide open. I start with my firebox mostly wide open and maybe choke down to 1/2 or 3/4 for remainder of the cook with out much tinkering after the fire is established.

Back