offset smoker choice

jeepaholic

Looking for those of you that have offset smoker experience, which of these 2 would be better to purchase:

Franklin Offset or Millscale 94

The Franklin is $5100 including shipping vs Millscale apx $6000 with shipping

The only real difference I can see between the two is Millscale has the chimney dampner where Franklin does not. Also the MS has a solid firebox door and the Franklin is vented and cannot be closed off. How important are these 2 features to have?

I also believe the Millscale is a larger pit - 24 x 48. My understanding is the cook chamber on the Franklin pit is smaller

Between those 2, definitely the Millscale. I like the ability to adjust the airflow, and my impression is the craftsmanship of the Millscale is much better.

Are you pressed for space? For $6k you may as well bump up to. 250gal from reputable builder.

If Handy you can build one for a lot cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between those two I would buy a Millscale. But i would look at Austin Smokeworks and Moberg also they both make backyard pits now.

Isn't the Franklin a 20"x42"? Knock 12" off from the firebox end. I spose that's still plenty of cooker fer most. I prefer more fer my dollar, but that's just me.
Lead times suck, I completely understand that.

-D

Paul Shirley has a 12 week lead time fer a direct flow patio smoker. That's Paul, not Tyler.
Don't know if that helps or not.

-D

this one?
yuo3Xzzh.jpg

The Franklin pit is longer than it looks. The 42 inch cook chamber doesn't account for the ellipsoid head on the stack side. It's more like 47 inches. They are very similar in design, but the Franklin has that ellipsoid head and it also has a semi-insulated firebox. The hinges are beefier. The firebox door, while cut, still gives you some control over the airflow. The firebox door is cut so that you can't completely shut it off. Generally I cook with the door shut.

There's been a phenomenon mainly due to Jirby of everyone wanting to suddenly cut off the airflow in these pits. What's the point of getting a great high convection pit and turning it into a worse pit by shutting it down? "Boy this pit is great! I really wish it cooked more like an Oklahoma Joes from Home Depot!"

Anyway, there are differences in the pits. One think I really like about the Millscale is the stainless log rack. The one on my Franklin pit wanted to rust until I took it off and seasoned it in the cook chamber. You just have to weigh the extra space and added draft control vs. do you think the ellipsoid head and semi-insulated firebox matters.

I haven't seen a Millscale in the flesh so I can't comment on the build quality but the Franklin has great welds and it's overbuilt in a lot of places compared to what I've seen on the Millscale. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

There's been a phenomenon mainly due to Jirby of everyone wanting to suddenly cut off the airflow in these pits. What's the point of getting a great high convection pit and turning it into a worse pit by shutting it down?\

I disagree. It's about having options vs. a one setting cooker. I use various damper settings depending on what I'm cooking, or the stage of the cook. If I leave my 1975 stack wide open in the first 4 hours of a brisket cook, I'll get crispy edges on my brisket and not as much smoke flavor, however later in the brisket cook, I'll run the stack wide open to get that extra rendering for the fat cap. If I'm smoking a rib-eye, a delicate cut/short cook, the stack wide open provides a night and day difference vs. using a the damper. Stack wide open for crispy chicken, damper closed for more smokey chicken. More options are always better.

"Boy this pit is great! I really wish it cooked more like an Oklahoma Joes from Home Depot!"

When I close my damper down 2/3, I'm burning full size splits with plenty of airflow and convection, something you could never do in a Oklahoma Joe.

When Mad Scientist compared the Franklin, Fatstack, and 1975, it was clear the Franklin is lacking in convection compared to the others. The size of the firebox and stack size support this assumption too. To me the Franklin is a 1 setting - medium convection smoker that you can’t adjust. Amazing, yes, but lacking cooking options.

On my 1975 I can cook in high convection mode with the stack wide open to render fat quickly. I can can cook with the damper closed 1/3 (**probably similar to the Franklin convection in that setting**), or with the damper closed 2/3 to get a gentle, super smokey cooking setting. I use all these settings for every cook. My food is tasting much better after doing this.

The majority of Texas bbq joints I’ve personally seen use the damper. Goldee’s closes theirs down to 3/4 when cooking briskets. It’s nice to have cooking options that directly impact the flavor and appearance of your food.

And finally (sorry for the long post), the stack damper can help you control and adjust temperatures without adjusting your fire size, and move the hot spot to different locations.

Last edited:
I disagree. It's about having options vs. a one setting cooker. I use various damper settings depending on what I'm cooking, or the stage of the cook. If I leave my 1975 stack wide open in the first 4 hours of a brisket cook, I'll get crispy edges on my brisket and not as much smoke flavor, however later in the brisket cook, I'll run the stack wide open to get that extra rendering for the fat cap. If I'm smoking a rib-eye, a delicate cut/short cook, the stack wide open provides a night and day difference vs. using a the damper. Stack wide open for crispy chicken, damper closed for more smokey chicken. More options are always better.

When I close my damper down 2/3, I'm burning full size splits with plenty of airflow and convection, something you could never do in a Oklahoma Joe.

When Mad Scientist compared the Franklin, Fatstack, and 1975, it was clear the Franklin is lacking in convection compared to the others. The size of the firebox and stack size support this assumption too. To me the Franklin is a 1 setting - medium convection smoker that you can’t adjust. Amazing, yes, but lacking cooking options.

On my 1975 I can cook in high convection mode with the stack wide open to render fat quickly. I can can cook with the damper closed 1/3 (**probably similar to the Franklin convection in that setting**), or with the damper closed 2/3 to get a gentle, super smokey cooking setting. I use all these settings for every cook. My food is tasting much better after doing this.

The majority of Texas bbq joints use the damper in different settings depending on the meat. Goldee’s closes theirs down to 3/4 when cooking briskets. It’s nice to have cooking options that directly impact the flavor and appearance of your food.

And finally (sorry for the long post), the stack damper can help you control and adjust temperatures without adjusting your fire size, and move the hot spot to different locations.

wow, Skater Smoker vrs Aaron Franklin.

You've been at this less than one year. Aaron has been smoking brisket since 2002 and has people lined up every day to eat his brisket.

And when you start quoting a YouTuber influencer, you've really gone off the rails. You just take his word for it, like the new Camp Chef pellet pooper is a " game changer " .

I don't care what the boys at Goldee's say they do. Texas Monthly and Daniel Vaughn don't tell me what barbecue I'm suppose to like. I don't worship at that alter.

And how do you know what the " majority " of Texas joints do ? You don't.

All these other offset pit builders are just copying Aaron Franklin's design. They don't know why they do what they do, they're just welders. Franklin is a barbecue man who builds pits.

Back