THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check out my pics on the lid problem size wise:

DSCF5287.jpg

DSCF5288.jpg

DSCF5280.jpg

Can't see too much on the thrid pic, but if you look close enough on the first and second pics you can see where I tried to mash down the lid so it would fit. It did but I didn't like that it just sat on top of the barrel rim. So my fix was to add 4 skinny bolts and some furnace gasket to make the seal and keep it from falling or moving on the drum.

Oops no pics of gasket so here it is:
DSCF5292-1.jpg

Here you can see the aligning bolts and the gasket held on by high temp red silicone engine gasket maker stuff.

Hope all this helps on a solution......

Paul B

A yard sale!!!!!...What did that guy do for a livin'????....Who would have a SS drum kicking around tha garage???:-D

A yard sale!!!!!...What did that guy do for a livin'????....Who would have a SS drum kicking around tha garage???:-D

Ya....I asked him the same thing. He bought it at a garage sale that had 6!!! for $25. He was going to make a grill out of it. He started at $25 to recoup, I was hesitant, and he said what would I pay. Only just thinking about building an offset I countered with $5.00. He hemmed and hawwed and I started to walk away(was expecting him to counter with $15 and I was going to snap it up), and he said weeelllllllllllllllllllllllll I don't want it back in the garage, handed him a crumpled five spot and loaded that baby up. I didn't realize at the time that those go for $500++!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now you know the rest of the story............

Paul B :biggrin::biggrin:

Check out my pics on the lid problem size wise:

DSCF5287.jpg

DSCF5288.jpg

DSCF5280.jpg

Can't see too much on the thrid pic, but if you look close enough on the first and second pics you can see where I tried to mash down the lid so it would fit. It did but I didn't like that it just sat on top of the barrel rim. So my fix was to add 4 skinny bolts and some furnace gasket to make the seal and keep it from falling or moving on the drum.

Oops no pics of gasket so here it is:
DSCF5292-1.jpg

Here you can see the aligning bolts and the gasket held on by high temp red silicone engine gasket maker stuff.

Hope all this helps on a solution......

Paul B

I just discovered a use for the bolts besides aligning the lid on the barrel. They double as a lid hanger on the side of the barrel!!! :biggrin::biggrin:. Either two will catch top lip or just one. Don't know that I will use it though with the empty plant hanger that is just a couple of steps away.

So, not only do the bolts secure and align the lid, it can double as a lid hanger to the side of the barrel. With the weber and knock off lids that don't quite fit this may be a viable fix. Although the lids may have to be mashed somewhat as I had to do to mine from Arctic Products.

No pics yet, so it actually didn't happen, but it does work well it there were pics.

Paul B

Last edited:
Back