THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice eats Bobby B.!
I'm still phreestyling here what to make with the pulled pork,just cooked some potato's just in case...
Plate pic(s) will phollow...

IMG_0004-5.jpg

IMG_0010-3.jpg

Grandma's old recipe cabbage is cooking away right now. We are having black eyed peas to go along with it and the top round roast we smoked yesterday.

dscf2128-e1262387449328.jpg

dscf2130-e1262387673494.jpg

My family and I wish you one and all, a happy and prosperous 2010.

Happy New Year fellow brethren!

I think I need to make a late resolution to go on a diet after the past week!

Christmas day, my oldest son came for dinner, we made a 5 lb pork loin, injected with Scottie's Cajun butter on the Egg. Then, on Sunday, my youngest son (21) and his girfreind came over, and we had a 5 bone USDA choice rib roast (local Meijer had 'em on sale for $4.29 per pound) also on the egg. (Sadly, I know...no pics, didn't happen :mad:) Oh well.....

Normally, my mother in law comes to our place for Thanksgiving, and we go to her place for Christmas, but this year, the weather was pretty bad (Christmas eve was extremely cold and icy) so she asked us to wait until New Years.

Soooo...the shot fairy saw Tyler Florence do a beef Wellington dish last week and said "honey...how 'bout we do this for New years???"

So yesterday, I went out and scored a choice Angus tenderloin at Sam's, and the rest of the ingredients at a few other local places.
Cut a 3 lb roast out of the center (cut the rest into 1.5" steaks and vacu-sealed then froze them)

Tied the roast, seared it, and made both the Duxelles and the caper sauce (Google Tyler Florence Ultimate Beef Wellington for recipe, this is AWESOME!!!) and put it all in the fridge overnight.

So this morning.......

I laid out about 14 slices of Prociutto Note; I am NOT the food artist that RTD or cowgirl are, and these were all taken with a cell phone camera, so be gentle:roll:
IMG1UPL.jpg

Now spread the Duxelles (mushrooms, shallot, garlic, thyme, fine chopped then cooked until most of the water is out)
IMG2UPL.jpg

Next, the seared tenderloin gets a mustard rub
IMG3UPL.jpg

And the whole thing gets rolled up in plastic wrap
IMG4UPL.jpg

Then wrapped in a second layer
IMG5UPL.jpg

Then it went in the fridge overnight to firm up. This morning, it got wrapped up in puff pastry. I hadn't worked with puff pastry before, and let it thaw out too much, which made it stick together. I'll know better this time, but just rolled it out and wrapped up the tenderloin, sealing the seam and ends with egg wash
IMG6UPL.jpg

Then, into the oven (It was my first one, so figured I'd play it safe. Next time I'll try it in the BGE) for about 55 minutes. The recipe says 45, but since MIL likes it a bit more medium, I cooked it a bit longer. The high temp (425) made some of the juices that leaked look burnt, but the pastry was golden brown and delicious!

IMG7UPL.jpg

Here's a center slice
IMG8UPL.jpg

This was some tasty stuff! And that sauce! You could put it on almost anything and it'd taste good.

Hope all my fellow brethren had a safe and Happy New Year!

Did another cook of tamales. Been reviewing the brethren help and wanted to try these again for good luck on New Years Day. It really is a labor of love for this wonderful tradition from our southern neighbors. These were so good and nothing like what is served at any restaurant around here. Not even close to the same flavor. I have a new appreciation for the families that have the Christmas Eve tradition of making these.
Meat was boiled pork butt, masa was kicked up with some extra cumin and garlic (thanks Bob Brisket), mole was ancho peppers boiled, seasoned, and some added to the pork stuffing, steamed, rested, unwrapped and then couldn't stop sampling. Had to add the black eyed peas for double luck. Going to ge a great year. Happy New Year to all my brethren out there.

Attachments

Looking great, Meat!!! A labor of love indeed, but so worth it. Those look fastastic. I'd HIT them hard!! Nicely done.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Last edited:
We're having a few friends over for Seafood Gumbo, Moink Balls (MrsMista is gonna make them) and Pecan Pie Cheesecake. Oh and a few adult beverages...

I've never heard of pecan pie cheese cake. Am I reading it wrong or is it possibly one of the greatest desserts ever.

OUT-FARKING-STANDING!!

I will be making this (after a couple months of fasting!:mad:)

Happy New Year fellow brethren!

I think I need to make a late resolution to go on a diet after the past week!

Christmas day, my oldest son came for dinner, we made a 5 lb pork loin, injected with Scottie's Cajun butter on the Egg. Then, on Sunday, my youngest son (21) and his girfreind came over, and we had a 5 bone USDA choice rib roast (local Meijer had 'em on sale for $4.29 per pound) also on the egg. (Sadly, I know...no pics, didn't happen :mad:) Oh well.....

Normally, my mother in law comes to our place for Thanksgiving, and we go to her place for Christmas, but this year, the weather was pretty bad (Christmas eve was extremely cold and icy) so she asked us to wait until New Years.

Soooo...the shot fairy saw Tyler Florence do a beef Wellington dish last week and said "honey...how 'bout we do this for New years???"

So yesterday, I went out and scored a choice Angus tenderloin at Sam's, and the rest of the ingredients at a few other local places.
Cut a 3 lb roast out of the center (cut the rest into 1.5" steaks and vacu-sealed then froze them)

Tied the roast, seared it, and made both the Duxelles and the caper sauce (Google Tyler Florence Ultimate Beef Wellington for recipe, this is AWESOME!!!) and put it all in the fridge overnight.

So this morning.......

I laid out about 14 slices of Prociutto Note; I am NOT the food artist that RTD or cowgirl are, and these were all taken with a cell phone camera, so be gentle:roll:
IMG1UPL.jpg

Now spread the Duxelles (mushrooms, shallot, garlic, thyme, fine chopped then cooked until most of the water is out)
IMG2UPL.jpg

Next, the seared tenderloin gets a mustard rub
IMG3UPL.jpg

And the whole thing gets rolled up in plastic wrap
IMG4UPL.jpg

Then wrapped in a second layer
IMG5UPL.jpg

Then it went in the fridge overnight to firm up. This morning, it got wrapped up in puff pastry. I hadn't worked with puff pastry before, and let it thaw out too much, which made it stick together. I'll know better this time, but just rolled it out and wrapped up the tenderloin, sealing the seam and ends with egg wash
IMG6UPL.jpg

Then, into the oven (It was my first one, so figured I'd play it safe. Next time I'll try it in the BGE) for about 55 minutes. The recipe says 45, but since MIL likes it a bit more medium, I cooked it a bit longer. The high temp (425) made some of the juices that leaked look burnt, but the pastry was golden brown and delicious!

IMG7UPL.jpg

Here's a center slice
IMG8UPL.jpg

This was some tasty stuff! And that sauce! You could put it on almost anything and it'd taste good.

Hope all my fellow brethren had a safe and Happy New Year!

Back