OC Smokehouse is ready to go!(pr0n heavy and text wall)

mrbill

is one Smokin' Farker
long story short, once up on a time i had a bandera and loved it(loved the cabinet style cook chamber, this is still true. i love me a cabinet smoker). but didn't know how to properly use/take care of it. so the issues i didn't know how to deal with lead me to deciding i needed a gasser(and that's as far as i'll go into my gasser phase). and so my bandera went on the curb. by the time i had second thoughts(less than 1 hr), it was already gone. i have since been using a wsm and weber kettles to good effect. however, the nostalgia/love of the bandera remained. i told myself that if i ever had the chance to get another i would. no luck on craigslist for a while.fast forward some years and banderas start showing up at walmart and a regional grocery store. hot damn! this is my chance to right all the wrongs. told the wife to collaborate with anyone who may give me a birthday present and ask that they all just pony up cash so i can get me another bandera. she agrees. a few weeks later i was cruising by academy and saw the Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse. Wow!, just Wow!. it was pretty much everything i wanted in a smoker(aside from a bit thin on the metal). so i did some internet research and within a few hours of seeing it, told the wife that i wanted the OC Smokehouse and not the bandera and that i would work OT to make up the difference between it and the $$ folks would be putting up for the bandera.

anywho, i picked up my OC Smokehouse a couple weeks ago. did a high heat burn/seasoning run last week. did a lower heat cure last night. gonna do my first cook on it on sunday(pork butt and ribs)

here are the pics....

loaded up in the truck

at home on the back porch

coated with canola oil inside and out. tel tru thermos installed(have to ream out the bottom port to get one to fit there) ready to season

briquettes fired in a chimney starter and tossed on fire grate, ready for wood

few splits on, all dampers wide open for high heat burn in

starting to get some color on the grates

burning hot so the oil bakes on to prevent rust/bake off nasty oil(prior to lighting it off, i used a nylon brush and soapy water to loosen up the manufacturing oil)

both stack wide open, clean burning going on

lots of wood on for high heat

grates getting a bit more color on them

first burn almost done. nice chocolate color on the grates

second burn in progress with 2gal of water in pan. temps running fairly even

low temp burn complete, pic of top grate

pic of bottom two grates after second burn

i'll do another thread on sunday for the first cook on it(ribs and pork butt)

Grate thing about breaking in a new pit is you get to see where your hot spots are going to be. Looking forward to see what you crank out with it!

(sorry about the grate pun)

Congrats! Got mine around the same time. Drove it from Amarillo back to Idaho. Wife just came home last night after a week in the hospital so I haven't got to use it as much as I'd like. Was hoping to use tomorrow for Father's day but my son took the reigns so I'll have to weight a few more days.

Looks like you are having a great time already. Congrats on the new toy.

Congrats, looks like a nice smoker. Will be following the thread to see how Sunday's cook turns out, which I'm sure will be superb.

bummer of an update. apparently my phone(which is also my camera) has chosen this weekend to go on the fritz. wife's went out last weekend with same issues and still isnt fixed right. so, what this means for ya'll is that i won't be able to do another pic thread of the ribs and butt i'm cooking tomorrow. sorry. i'll post in here how well/poorly it went and do a pic/cook thread once i get my phone situation squared away.

How about Now.....?

cook still underway. i managed to get a few pics during the times my phone felt like working. wound up getting a new phone and setting it up now. ribs were good but could have gone a bit longer even though they passed the bend test. once everything is said and done, i should be able to go ahead and post the cook thread later today.

Back