Observation on facebook

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/gre...le-take-out-container-300-cs/395TWBOO011.html

I use these for certain events. They are almost 4x's the cost of regular but they are out there. They have a main factory in CA and NY. If you want there here they are, there is no difference. Also wholefoods use bio takeouts like the ones in CT for the comp, the only problem with those is they are paperbase and they stain and do not clean up drips very easy. We had to cover all of the side with foil while boxing.

I got to use a biodegradable PNWBA clam shell box this year and I really liked it as well. I don't see any reason why the KCBS could not use these as well. They were very durable. No absorption issues and just a really nice box with true sizing.

KCBS does not provide the boxes to the events, each organizer is required to get there own. They would have to make some kind of mandate and I am not sure how this would be received.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/gre...le-take-out-container-300-cs/395TWBOO011.html

I use these for certain events. They are almost 4x's the cost of regular but they are out there. They have a main factory in CA and NY. If you want there here they are, there is no difference. Also wholefoods use bio takeouts like the ones in CT for the comp, the only problem with those is they are paperbase and they stain and do not clean up drips very easy. We had to cover all of the side with foil while boxing.

Ya, the paper ones were OK from a structural stand point, but it was a mess trying to clean up. Smears all over the sides...

In terms of environmental responsibility it would make more sense to provide containers for aluminum cans and bottles for teams, and then dispose of them properly.

In terms of environmental responsibility it would make more sense to provide containers for aluminum cans and bottles for teams, and then dispose of them properly.

Just hang around my sister. She goes home with a bag of recyclables ....

Good point. I also think that a container for recycling tin foil and tin pans would be helpful and I can't imagine it would be that hard to provide something like that at comps.

This is a helpful thread!

I think it would make more sense for the location hosting the comp to provide recycling containers just as they provide trash cans. The KCBS reps already have enough to do as it is and now you want them to also be in charge of recycling?

I think it would make more sense for the location hosting the comp to provide recycling containers just as they provide trash cans. The KCBS reps already have enough to do as it is and now you want them to also be in charge of recycling?

I don't recall anyone suggesting that the reps would be responsible for recycling efforts.

We hosted a backyard event a few times, and I can not believe how much room those things took up in the dumpster. Didn't know there was a product out there that would shrink the stuff. Ok Larry, where do I buy it?

Out here, even the general waste is sent through a recycling sort, the stuff from a event center is also sorted for recyclables. Most of the restaurants out here have to use non-styrofoam containers and once the resistance to change factor was overcome, the change was not so bad (and yes, I do know several restaurant owners). I like those clamshells that are paper or plastic over the foam ones (although lemonine sounds cool).

I also do not understand the hostility towards trying to reduce the waste stream, does being a BBQ person mean we have to not care about how much we waste?

TaterWare

Moisture resistant, sturdy and fully biodegradable, these clamshells with heavy-duty hinges are made from our patented potato-based resin. One, two, and three compartments are available in various sizes.
  • Suitable for Hot & Cold Foods
  • Heat Stable to 300°F
  • Freezer Safe and Micro-Warmable
  • Resists grease and cuts
  • Leakproof
  • Premium Embossed Design for Strength
  • Meets FDA Requirements for Direct Food Contact
I got some samples, not too bad. Little pricey.

Great stuff here folks. I agree, just becuase others aren;t trying to reduce their footprint doesn't mean we shouldn't. There is a tremendous amount of waste that could see future use.

Back