Oakridge Taste Test

I WILL be taking advantage of that.
Thank you and Congratulations on the anniversary!

Continued the taste tests last night.
Mrs has been asking for leg quarters for a while.
24 hour soak in the Game Changer, rinsed and a couple hours drying in the fridge.
All got a dose of Secret Weapon and one got the HDD also.
Mrs said it was the best I've ever made.
I've made a LOT of chicken, so that's a pretty bold statement.
It was damn good, if I say so myself.
Very juicy, perfectly balanced seasoning , nice bit of heat without being overbearing.
Very happy with the results.
Tonight will be brisket smash burgers on the GG with 50/50 Carne Crosta Santa Maria seasoning mix.

Last edited:
Boom. That's also how I cook my bird and corn.

Fun to read about your adventures.

Looking forward to those burgers (haven't tried that lovely mix on a burger yet... but it sounds like a sure winner).

I got a couple more cooks in over the weekend, although I kind of fell down on the picture taking.
Saturday was smashburgers with the recommended 50/50 mix of Carne Crosta and Santa Maria.
I cooked them on the flat side of the grill grates on the kettle over a mix of KBB and RO lump.
No idea how hot the grates were, but somewhere between scorching and nuclear.
Mrs likes larger, single patties, about 1/4 pounders. I cut my patties in half and made doubles.
They cooked extremely fast and developed an excellent crust. Really liked the flavor from the Carne/Santa mix.
Mrs was very happy with the results as well.

Sunday I tried the Dominator Sweet Rib rub on some baby backs.
The rub tasted a quite a bit like my home made rub, but not as sweet and less heat.
I cooked the ribs with the 3-2-1 method over apple splits on the ECB offset.
Ribs came out pretty good as far as tenderness and definitely weren't dry at all.
Mrs likes her ribs fall off the bone, I prefer a little bite, so I'm always trying for the sweet spot in the middle.
I though the rub turned out a bit bland. I usually don't use sauce on my ribs, but ended up wanting it with these.
I thought I used plenty of rub, at least as much as I do with my home made stuff. Guess I need to use more. Probably won't be buying any more of this one.

My Naturiffic order should be in before the 4th. Looking forward to trying them out as well.

Last edited:
Picked up some pretty nice sized jalapenos and made some jumbo poppers for lunch Sunday since the smoker was fired up. They took 3 pieces of bacon apiece to wrap.
Mixture of bleu and cream cheese and sprinkled with Habanero Death Dust.
Quite tasty! Had the last one for lunch today. Somehow it got a lot hotter since Sunday!

Last edited:
Back