Oakridge Saigon 21 shrimp

Robert

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Had some fully cooked salad shrimp (100-150 per pound but this bag the shrimp are much larger than normal salad shrimp) that bought to use on pizzas and salads. Kinda burned out on salad and just craving something different. Also had some Sam's Choice spiral sliced brown sugar ham that I had smoked over hickory that had a great sweet and smokey flavor.

Looking in the spice cabinet I notice the bag of Saigon 21 and thought it would be good on the shrimp. So I got about 1 1/2 cups of shrimps defrosted and sprinkled about 2 tsp of the Saigon 21 on them and mixed up really well and let sit for about 30 minutes. While the the shrimps defrosted and marinated, I cut up a couple of slices of the ham into 1 1/2" pieces.

I melted a small amount of bacon grease in an 8 inch skillet and threw the ham in to get some heat. Once the maillard reaction began taking place on the ham, I tossed in the shrimps to warm up a little. In about a minute the smell in the kitchen was just incredible. I scooped out the ham and shrimp onto a warm, low carb tortilla and I have to say the flavor was out of this world.

I'm already planning on trying this in the future with some raw shrimp and marinade longer before cooking. The combination of flavors from the sweet, smokey ham, the Saigon 21 marinated shrimpand the bacon grease seemed to compliment each other very well. Some fried rice and stir fried vegetables would make a great meal.

Thanks,

Robert

I just did this last weekend for superbowl. Did shrimp 4 different ways, two of which were Jah Love, and Saigon 21. Both were excellent. Because we had way too much food, the Saigon 21 never got consumed on game night so it sat in the bag marinating until the following night. With shrimp being so delicate I thought they be farked, but it was perfect. I guess there is no acids in it so it didn't melt the shrimp at all. And yeah, the smell when cooking it awesome.

It marries well with shellfish, which has me thinking about mussels. I'm pretty set in my ways with mussels, usually curry cream, or just salt and butter maybe with some white wine. I'm thinking a cream and wine with some Saigon 21 would be interesting.

I have a bag and still need to try it out that they gave me for free and forgot I had it till I seen this post , thanks .

Back