THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love Oakridge rubs, but as has been mentioned, different strokes for different folk. :biggrin1:

I bought a bag of the Carne Crosta, and I don't necessarily love it either. I still need to experiment with it. I like the flavor of the Santa Maria better, and think that makes a better steak.

I also do not like Dominator because of the Cinnamon/Nutmeg in it. My go to for ribs/pork/chicken is Secret Weapon or Competition.

I wasn’t being negative cause my son really likes that cinnamon flavor . I just seem to gravitate BACK to SIMPLE old standards that let the food flavor not be overpowered by rub...(yes I’m old school..SUE ME!!) ...Cavenders Greek seasoning on fish and chicken. 3 Eyez/Simply Marvelous pecan or something similar on pork. And beef either some pepper, salt and garlic tasting rub, usually a steak rub. And in almost all cases I tend to “mix” a little voodoo in just to change it up. But as always I love and APPRECIATE all the comments and opinions on here cause isn’t that half the fun....finding out what winds your own clock??!!

It's definitely a personal taste preference. I have Dizzy Pig Redeye. I thought I was going to love it but low and behold it has fenugreek and I hate that stuff. I like lower salt rubs because they give me control.

Have you tried the rub cooked on a steak yet? Curious to see what your impressions are after its been cooked with meat.

No, I haven't had the opportunity yet, hopefully soon. I'm going to give it a try, as-is, and see how it goes. If it's a rub made for steaks, it shouldn't need any additives IMO, should be good right out of the bag.

No, I haven't had the opportunity yet, hopefully soon. I'm going to give it a try, as-is, and see how it goes. If it's a rub made for steaks, it shouldn't need any additives IMO, should be good right out of the bag.

My favorite cut is ribeye! There is a chance it won't change you mind, but Carne Crosta is a rub I feel you can't judge til you try it cooked on meat. The coffee takes a different flavor to me. Wish I had something to trade if you don't like it! I'm running low Hehe.

I'm curious to know how a brisket turns out with it. I don't think the coffee would compliment slow cooking like it does high heat searing. I haven't seen anyone try Carne Crosta brisket. If I missed it I would like to see how it turned out

This rub needs a little cooking finesse to let it sing. If you have a lot of grains after you cook then you didn't do it right. It works well with oil as an adhesive to hold a light dusting. When you get a really rocking heat and sear it you'll know things are going right when you see the rub bubbling along across the surface of the steak.

As a side note I have been using it 50/50 with santa maria and it works for both burgers and steaks.

As far as tasting something out of the bag and having to like it goes. I DO enjoy tasting a rub(and liking it) straight outta the bag, but some of my faves started out as a zonk on the finger test(suckle busters hog waller comes to mind).

My favorite cut is ribeye! There is a chance it won't change you mind, but Carne Crosta is a rub I feel you can't judge til you try it cooked on meat. The coffee takes a different flavor to me. Wish I had something to trade if you don't like it! I'm running low Hehe.

I'm curious to know how a brisket turns out with it. I don't think the coffee would compliment slow cooking like it does high heat searing. I haven't seen anyone try Carne Crosta brisket. If I missed it I would like to see how it turned out

No need for a trade, if I hate it after I try it, I'll send it to you for free.

This rub needs a little cooking finesse to let it sing. If you have a lot of grains after you cook then you didn't do it right. It works well with oil as an adhesive to hold a light dusting. When you get a really rocking heat and sear it you'll know things are going right when you see the rub bubbling along across the surface of the steak.

As a side note I have been using it 50/50 with santa maria and it works for both burgers and steaks.

As far as tasting something out of the bag and having to like it goes. I DO enjoy tasting a rub(and liking it) straight outta the bag, but some of my faves started out as a zonk on the finger test(suckle busters hog waller comes to mind).

I'm sorry, but a simple steak rub should not require finesse for it to turn out. If I cant just shake it on the steak, give it a nice sear, and have a taste great...no use having it in my pantry.

I cant stand cinnamon on anything, especially bbq. Oakridge is out for me then I suppose. Any recommendations for another non-cinnamon/nutmeg seasoning?

For the record, we only use cinnamon in one of our production rubs; Dominator Sweet Rib Rub. None of our other rubs, including Secret Weapon, contain any cinnamon.

I love Oakridge rubs, but as has been mentioned, different strokes for different folk. :biggrin1:

I also do not like Dominator because of the Cinnamon/Nutmeg in it. My go to for ribs/pork/chicken is Secret Weapon or Competition.

For the record, there isn't any nutmeg in any of our rubs.

No need for a trade, if I hate it after I try it, I'll send it to you for free.

I'm sorry, but a simple steak rub should not require finesse for it to turn out. If I cant just shake it on the steak, give it a nice sear, and have a taste great...no use having it in my pantry.

Hi Groundhog,

If you don't like it, we always honor our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, even if the rub was purchased from one of our dealers. Shoot me a PM and we'll either send you a replacement or a pre-paid return envelope and a refund. I firmly stand behind every product I make.

Regarding the rub itself, Carne Crosta is our most technical rub and it does require some cooking skill and finesse to really make it shine. I designed it that way on purpose. I don't apologize for it and I realize it may not be for everyone and that's OK. :thumb:

Hi Groundhog,

If you don't like it, we always honor our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, even if the rub was purchased from one of our dealers. Shoot me a PM and we'll either send you a replacement or a pre-paid return envelope and a refund. I firmly stand behind every product I make.

Regarding the rub itself, Carne Crosta is our most technical rub and it does require some cooking skill and finesse to really make it shine. I designed it that way on purpose. I don't apologize for it and I realize it may not be for everyone and that's OK. :thumb:

Mike,

I'll follow the directions (if there are any), and give it a shot. I'm not writing it off, just sharing a first impression.

No apology should even be necessary, you make your products to your specifications...and that's a good thing. :thumb:

Mike,

I'll follow the directions (if there are any), and give it a shot. I'm not writing it off, just sharing a first impression.

No apology should even be necessary, you make your products to your specifications...and that's a good thing. :thumb:

I second that Mike. I still ordered from you and my seasonings are on the way to Cali as we speak...or type :mrgreen:

Secret Weapon for pork, Black Ops for Brisket, and Habanero Death Dust for Wings are by far my favorite go-to rubs.

I think Santa Maria and Carne Costa are good, but with steak I’m a traditionalist and it’s hard to beat SPOG and a hot flame. Dominator started off strong in my book, but after a while I grew tired of cinnamon, I don’t know why but I’m just like that with that spice (including in our local famous coney island chili dogs).

Everyone’s taste buds are different, but I know my palette has been greatly expanded and ive tried a lot of things I never thought I would because of them.

I was a bit skeptical I would like the Carne Crosta after smelling it, I don't enjoy coffee. If you sear over high heat (I use mesquite wood coals in a Vortex) it doesn't taste like coffee at all and you get a killer crust with it. It's my personal favorite out of all the steak seasonings I've tried, doesn't overpower the taste of a good cut of beef.

I've used it with and without olive oil so you can easily just sprinkle it on and sear away if you want to.

Ok! Like groundhog I was skeptical about this rub, I thought out of bag it was bitter/coffee tasting! Sooo I got a couple porterhouse and seasoned 1 with blue star! & 1one with blue star /carne crosta ! And Tim knows my wife,! she loved the cc steak! And I also love the mellowness that happened with this rub! The cook was indirect with a wio smoke and seared to a med rare! I'm a believer! I really didn't think I would like it! I love it!

Hi Groundhog,

I didn't like it out of the bag! But really really great on a seared steak!

Back