Oak Split Supplier In Roseville, CA???

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
I'm in Roseville CA and can't find a convenient supplier of small quantities of oak splits. Are there any chain stores that carry them? I've been going to Smart and Final, but they were out and the box says they may not be all oak splits.

Craigs list or Facebook marketplace you may find something. Walmart sells expensive kiln dried hickory which may do in a pinch.

If you have a Ace Hardware or a academy sports they have splits but kind of expensive .

A few places locally stock Lazzari. Call Valley Rock in Loomis. If they don't have it, they might be able to order it for you.

FWIW, almond is an excellent substitute for oak and is readily available in many other places locally. Almond is pretty much all I use anymore when "live-fire cooking" calls for wood.

It’s a bit of a trip from Roseville but there is a firewood place on Jackson Hwy near the intersection of Folsom Blvd called Pack and Save that almost always has oak splits in their yard, and almond and cherry. I like it because they let me pick my own splits.

It’s a bit of a trip from Roseville but there is a firewood place on Jackson Hwy near the intersection of Folsom Blvd called Pack and Save that almost always has oak splits in their yard, and almond and cherry. I like it because they let me pick my own splits.
Yep, that's where I got mine from.

I'm just down the street from you in Citrus Heights. From what I've found there are three main places in the area, Tony's Firewood in Citrus Heights, NPC Firewood in Orangevale, and M&M Firewood in North Highlands. Out of the three M&M is by FAR the best.

Tony's... they just don't seem interested in doing business. I had problems every time I tried to buy from them so I gave up.

NPC... the main guy there seemed like a freakin crack head to me. All twacked out. No thanks.

M&M... good pricing and they even worked with me on some exacting specifications... all white oak, all splits no rounds, standard 16" length but split down to between 3-4" diameter (sometimes referred to as pizza oven cut), and minimal bark). I just ordered a 1/4 cord today for pick up this Friday. They claim to supply most of the BBQ restaurants in the area as well. And you can buy anywhere between a full cord all the way down to a "smoking bag" which is 1/48 cord.

+1 for M&M, they are the primary supplier for restaurants using cooking wood in the area.

Sounds like there are a few suppliers in the area.

One other idea is to try and track down the companies that do wildfire clean up. I got a load of oak from a crew that does most of the clean ups on the state parks in Southern California.

As a bonus, some of the wood already comes with scorch marks from the fire.

One other idea is to try and track down the companies that do wildfire clean up. I got a load of oak from a crew that does most of the clean ups on the state parks in Southern California.

Not a bad idea. Up here a lot of the scorched stuff they're taking out off Highway 50 is softwood (Cedar, Fir, Pine). Oaks are all further down the hill.

This!

I've got a friend that supervises inmates for wildfire clean up in the nat'l forests and he give me unlimited supply of oak for free. Or tree trimmers but they will charge you.

Back