THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

BrooklynQ

Ok guys - The teams are signing on, now we're looking for judges.

If anyone is interested send an email to [email protected]. We'd like to have all certified judges so KCBS and MIM judges get preference.

Please read over the categories carefully. If you are not willing or unable to judge in all categories, please do not respond. Thanks!

Email to [email protected]

If you're thinking about competing, please let me know soon. We have to accept teams on a first come basis, I'd hate to see a Brethren team shut out.

If you didn't see the original post, here's the info.

It's an one day, New England Barbeque Society sanctioned grilling contest - March 25, 2006, held in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn to benefit the St. Mark Sports Association. This event is being sponsored by Paul Kirk's RUB Restaurant.

St. Mark Sports is a non-profit/non-sectarian based program. We provide boys and girls from the ages of 5 to 16 the opportunity to play basketball, be cheerleaders, or swim competitively. We also host a Special Olympics basketball team.

Entrance fee for the contest is $100. For that you get to cook in all categories. If you want to only compete in one individual category its $75. It's $25 to compete in the dessert only category. You must cook in every category except dessert to qualify for grand and reserve champion.

Of the entrance fee, 50% will go to the sports program and 50% will go to the prize pool. We are working hard to secure more sponsors to jazz up the prize pool. Results of this contest will count towards the NEBS Team of the Year scores!

Categories:

Chicken Wings - whole or segments - Kansas City Barbecue Society rules for presentation and garnish

Fish - Whole, steak or filet. No shellfish or crustaceans. Stuffing allowed. Stuffing to be composed of grain, dairy, vegetable and/or fruits. No additional meat, fish or poultry allowed. - KCBS rules for garnish and presentation.

Pork: Ribs, loin, chop or tenderloin. Bone in or out - chef's choice. Stuffing allowed. Stuffing to be composed of grain, dairy, vegetable and/or fruits. No additional meat, fish, shellfish, crustaceans or poultry allowed. - KCBS rules for garnish and presentation.

Chef's choice: can be anything but an item that would qualify for the proceeding categories. No Desserts. No garnish rules, except if used, must be edible. Entry must be presented in 6 separate and identifiable pieces. It must fit into the supplied container. No side containers. ie: sauce or dipping sauce.

Dessert is fully chef's choice with whatever garnish he/she sees fit. Dessert must be presented with enough to allow 6 judges enough to sample. All dishes used in presentation become the property of the program. Does not have to be cooked on site, must be home made.

Check out the website at http://www.stmarksports.org for more information or to download the rules, cooks packet and contest application.

Feel free to email us at [email protected] if you have questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Boys - we just heard, we got the proclamation from the Borough President. We are now offically NYC's BBQ contest!

BrooklynQ said:
Well Boys - we just heard, we got the proclamation from the Borough President. We are now offically NYC's BBQ contest!

Nice work Rob. You are the official start of the BBQ contest season.

Smoker said:
Nice work Rob. You are the official start of the BBQ contest season.

UH- ya mean in the New Yawk area--right?? :lol:

Rob, great job on getting this together.
Hope ya have a great turnout and it all goes well.
I can not even imagine the hours you have invested.
Way to go!

TIM

Thanks guys.

I can not even imagine the hours you have invested.

Tim - I'm not keeping track. It's been an amazing amount. I have to give a shout out to our brother Matt - The Backyard Chef. He's working right along side with me. He's putting in as much or more. He deserves more praise and thanks than I do, because he never even heard of this sports program until we decided to do this contest.

We're at 13 PAID teams as of today.

Still haven't seen a check from the Brethren. I'd hate to see you get shut out.

Back