THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thats wasnt an experiment, it was intentional... it was the express rubbing that messed them up.. and gee.. ya think the grease fire in the pit may have had something do with the bitterness? We forgot about that.
:wink:

Pics from the event

Are there any other pictures posted yet from the LI Grill Kings competition other than the link I sent in to the newspaper article and pics? I know that Sharon was snappin away on her digital camera. How long before pictures show up and where, other than this forum?
Thanks,
Tom
Also, who's going to Asbury Park this coming weekend? :D

Re: Link to pics

t-bone49 said:
Trying to send a link to Newsday article with pics of weekends festivities. First attempt at link. Here goes...http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-libbq25,0,1973135.story?coll=n[/b]y-li-mezz

Thanks for the link, t-bone! My favorite quote was:

Lightning struck Phil Rizzardi of Nesconset, a barbecue hobbyist whose team, BBQ Brethren, competed for the first time at last year's Grill Kings. This year they took fourth place overall and first prize in pork.

FEAR THE PIG!

RE: Re: Link to pics

So... Did you get all of the secrets so we can use them at Peoria?
Another great lesson learned. Do not worry about ancillary turn-ins of they interfere with your schedule of prepping meat for the big four. Grill Kings had 3 categories the day before that we entered. After we finally finished with turn-in and sat down to relax, we rrealised that we should have been brining and marinating stuff for the previous 4 hours instead of messing with the other stuff. Not to mention the amount of energy put out messing with them. I have been to other events that may have a turn in or two the night before, but the afternoon before is not the right time. A friday night anything but category can be what you were prepping for dinner anyway. Sauce isn't bad, not time consuming or pitwork demanding.

Sausage on the day of was simple my last time out and required no thought.

If anyone has chances at some of these extra turn-ins, think about what it will detract from the real reason that you are there.

Re: RE: Re: Link to pics

parrothead said:
Another great lesson learned. Do not worry about ancillary turn-ins of they interfere with your schedule of prepping meat for the big four. Grill Kings had 3 categories the day before that we entered. After we finally finished with turn-in and sat down to relax, we rrealised that we should have been brining and marinating stuff for the previous 4 hours instead of messing with the other stuff. Not to mention the amount of energy put out messing with them. I have been to other events that may have a turn in or two the night before, but the afternoon before is not the right time. A friday night anything but category can be what you were prepping for dinner anyway.

Sauce isn't bad, not time consuming or pitwork demanding.

If anyone has chances at some of these extra turn-ins, think about what it will detract from the real reason that you are there.

I think the real distraction was the amount of people poking their nose in because of the Newsday article. Without the constant interuptions, I think we could have handled the extra turn-ins and all the brining and marinading etc. Bruce had the right idea of setting up barriers keeping people at bay until he was done with the work. Dr. BBQ had the same sort of setup.

RE: Re: RE: Re: Link to pics

One of the problems of becoming well known is people want to meet and talk with you, it can be a double edged sword. Try to have someone in the group deal with these well meaning folks is the best way to handle it. You can make it work.

Well, it was good that when i saw Phil i said a quick hello and ran......he might have decked me if i stayed any longer.....at the next LI comp or any other semi local comp i do not mind being the PR bitch!!! Cant come on saturday but sunday i would have no problem hangin with you..(prob would learn a tremendous amount) and would be more than happy to aanswer all those folkss questions...maybe i would even get a pic in newsday....mmm..

We will be at ribfest in Highland if ya wanna come visit. 8) About 1.5 hours North of NYC.

Back