THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I had been wanting to try the Nova Lox recipe from Thirdeye's blog (http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/08/thirdeyes-nova-lox.html) before the weather got warmer and made cold smoking a little more of a challenge.

Would have prefered a nice chunk of fresh salmon, but made do with a nice looking piece from BJs. Squared it up to try to achieve a fairly uniform thickness.

Trimmed_zps78eba878.jpg

Hit it with a 50/50 mix of K. salt and brown sugar.

Rubbed_zps60da8d7e.jpg

Wrapped it up tight in plastic, sandwiched it between two sheet pans, weighted the top pan down and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Went 12 -14 hours.

Removed it from the fridge and into the suggested brine (water, salt, and sugar) and back into the fridge in the brine for anothe 10 hours.

Gave it a rinse and a soak out for a few minutes and onto a rack.

Rinsed_zps76377161.jpg

Hit it with a sprinkle of white pepper, black pepper, and dill. I had planned on grabbing some fresh dill, but 14 inches of snow in the driveway made me realize that the stuff from the jar was just fine. :cool:

Spiced_zps03c5fefc.jpg

Back into the fridge overnight to prepare for the date with the smoker the next morning.

Cold smoked with apple wood, total smoke time was around 5 hours.

Done_zpse272b1ca.jpg

Put it back into the fridge again overnight to let things mellow out a bit.

Sunday morning, finally got to give it a shot. No bagels in the house, so just went with a plain old club cracker.

Sliced_zpse90a3552.jpg

I am not a expert, snob, or connoisseur of lox, but it seemed pretty damn good to me.

Big thanks to Thirdeye for the recipe/method.

Last edited:
Boy, did that come out nice or what? Good job from start to finish :thumb:

It's funny, but I've eaten and served more of my lox on crackers than anything else..... but one market has flavored bagels, and I like it on the onion flavored ones. One of my buddies that really likes sushi usually gets a piece, and he just refers to it as salmon sushi. I had it in scrambled eggs (also with onion) but need to experiment more with cooking. I've seen several pasta recipes where lox is added to the white sauce at the very end.

The salmon fishing season is right around the corner for us here.
I will definitely make sure I get "hooked up" up with some!
Looks great!
Thanks for the motivation!

YUMM-O!

Quick question.....what's the difference between lox and just smoked salmon (or is there a difference)?

Yeah, I know I could just google......but I just like asking questions here...:biggrin1:

Well, just pulled some salmon from the freezer to finally give lox a go. I know it is supposed to be fresh but I have a freezer full of sockeye that needs to be used before August. Thanks for the motivation.

Back