THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N8man

Babbling Farker
and sorry no pix....:mad2:
I just ate a "RedNeck Rueben".....:clap:
pan fried thick sliced german bologna topped with bavarian sauerkraut, two slices of melted swiss cheese nestled inside two slices of pan grilled toasted rye bread and spread with thousand island dressing with a spear of dill pickle on the side.....tasty redneck heaven....:bow:

just did a quick goooogle search for redneck reuben and see there are many variations on a theme...
some list corned pork shoulder, or ham or bacon or smoked beef brisket as the protein,
some say slaw instead of sauerkraut...or hummus....

my version sure was mighty good....I'll be having another tomorrow...

THAT sounds grate.....maybe shoot for pics on Round Two?

Oddly enough, I'm about to go slice some German style Summer sausage to have on some Hi Wi'an bread with cheese (Haven't decided what kind yet) and bread & butter pickles.

I just hung WAY out here & grilled boneless, skinless breasts for sammies......perfectly juicy, due mostly to your inspiration..........

just did a quick goooogle search for redneck reuben and see there are many variations on a theme...
some list corned pork shoulder, or ham or bacon or smoked beef brisket as the protein,
some say slaw instead of sauerkraut...or hummus....

my version sure was mighty good....I'll be having another tomorrow...

Rednecks eat hummus? Wonder if they complain that them grits taste funny....

I've never even heard of "German Bologna" until this thread. Hey, Nate. Can you take a pic of the package? Or list the brand so I can look for it?

nope, can't...got it sliced off'a hunk of meat at the Food Lion Deli counter...
I ain't got a clue as to the brand name...

but according to wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_sausage

German bologna

Sometimes referred to as garlic bologna, this sausage differs from traditional bologna due to various seasonings, most typically garlic being added to the recipe. Although referred to as German Bologna elsewhere, it is usually called Fleischwurst in Germany and Extrawurst in Austria. Other varieties, such as the French variation are sometimes called "Saucisse de Lyon" which the Swiss call Lyoner or Lyonerwurst ("Lyon sausage") and usually do not contain a noticeable amount of garlic, while Fleischwurst is often flavored with garlic, these varieties are generally an off white color, as they do not contain nitrates (which give cooked pork its pink color).
In Germany, "regular" bologna is referred to as Mortadella, and is mostly identical and made out of the same meats as its American counterpart, although it often contains pistachios. The original, larger and less finely ground Mortadella is called italienische Mortadella.

Sounds good. I bought some German bologna once and it tried to take over my fridge...started by attacking the French dressing and then the Russian dressing. Soon, the Italian dressing joined in.

Glad ya enjoyed it - I need to send ya some more Julio's tortilla chips from years gone by...

Well that does sound delightful. Thank you for rubbing it in our faces eating another one and all. :p Thankfully there are no pics to torture us further.

We just call that bologna, MIL calls it minced bologna. It's either that or Lebanon bologna in our meat cases around here. Nothing beats a bologna sandwich on white bread with american cheese, mayo and mustard. And it always tastes better if someone else makes it for you.

If you can get some lebanon bologna, I recommend a couple slices on a grilled cheese with a little marinara sauce. It's fantastic.

And all I had was a leftover Stuffed Jalapeno Fatty burger and one of Maru's pickles...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 26
Back