Not Q, but finally got a Cast Iron Skillet

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
I've wanted a cast iron skillet for a long time. I always remember my Mom using one almost daily to cook something in. I'd heard that the new pans weren't as good as the old, and I never found a good deal on a used one. Some time last year, I saw a Kickstarter for a Stargazer cast iron plan, liked what I read (I think), so I ordered one, and promptly forgot about it.

Got an email last week that my pan was shipping and got it this week. It came unseasoned, but they threw in a "Crisbee" to season it with since it had taken a long time.

On round three of the seasoning now, but here's some pictures after round two:

IMG_0542_zpszlj9xkft.jpg

IMG_0543_zpssgrcv8y8.jpg

My plan is that this will be used on the stove top, oven, and the grill. Now I just need to think of something to cook in it first.

Links in case anyone is interested:

http://www.stargazercastiron.com/
http://www.crisbee.org/

Thanks. Yeah NC, a lot of the cheaper new pans had this marbled or pebbled feeling to the bottom of them. I like how smooth this is.

Darn, I was happy with what I had until now. I guess there is never going to be an end to my obsession with new cooking toys.

cast iron

I have 3 cast iron toys that get a lot of use.
Check out MikeMci recipe for biscuits. They fit perfectly in my 10 inch
Lodge cheapo. Best biscuits i have ever made.

It's ok Spring, this is my first, I am sure you have a couple...

Thanks for the info..I'm looking into ordering the Crisbee product..I just want to enhance what seasoning I now have on my CI collection.

I am a cast iron nut as well. Love them old Griswolds and have quite a few. Recently restored the one my mom used when cooking for me and my brothers. It had gotten rusty - electrolysis tank and reseasoned. Love that thing. Super smooth cooking surface.
Having said all that, that StarGazer is sweet ! Congrats on that !

Cast iron is great. I have one that I seem to be perpetually trying to get to stay seasoned, but it never quite works.. That said, I use that skillet almost every time I cook a meal. My girlfriend bought it for me just over a year ago, so I could try my hand a home-made fried chicken. Still haven't managed to try that, but I use it for everything else!

I have a #6 #8 and #10 Griswold and love them. That pan you have looks awesome too. Somebody early posted to check out MikeMci recipe for biscuits. I can't find it. Can anyone help finding it?

12ring, I'd love a link too as biscuits sounded really good...

Cast iron is great. I have one that I seem to be perpetually trying to get to stay seasoned, but it never quite works.. That said, I use that skillet almost every time I cook a meal. My girlfriend bought it for me just over a year ago, so I could try my hand a home-made fried chicken. Still haven't managed to try that, but I use it for everything else!

if you don't mind me asking...how do you try to keep it seasoned?

Back