THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itsamarmot

Found some matches.
Earlier I had seen a thread about koji rice and had always been interested in it. I decided to try it out and figured I would post the results. It was similar to what some of the videos I had watched describe. The meat was a little firmer than I would have expected, but not in a bad way. It also tasted a little bit like a cheez it, but it added to the flavor of the meat, almost giving it another dimension.

We blended the rice in a magic bullet then rubbed the steaks down with it and left them in a DIY wire rack in the fridge. After two days I pulled them out and we rinsed off the remaining rice and they went for a bath in the sous vide with just salt and pepper. After coming to a temp of 130 in the sous vide I just seared them in the cast iron and we ate.

Attachments

Unfortunately I have never had a dry aged steak and neither did anyone else who ate them. So I cannot really compare it to a dry aged steak, but based on what I have read it had a lot of the "funk" flavor that would be in one.

Unfortunately I have never had a dry aged steak and neither did anyone else who ate them. So I cannot really compare it to a dry aged steak, but based on what I have read it had a lot of the "funk" flavor that would be in one.

Looks like a fun experiment. I'll give it a go.

Back