Non-Q Cast Iron Deep dish pizza 1st attempt! Destined to fail... Maybe! Live.

Cool thanks for the info.. I don't have a pizza stone, pizza cooking supplies at all.. I just make the pizza's with whatever I have available. I would say your method is preferred but the cast iron skillet worked just as good. I've read several recipes on time/temp.... cooked sausage/uncooked sauage. I just choose the best idea's from all of them. the 375 at 50 minutes was perfect.

Also about the dough... If I had a roller or something I wouldn't have had to worry about the thick spots on the crust.. I tried with a cup but it didn't work out well. So when doing by hand its just hard to get the crust 100% perfect.. especially when a greased up pan tries to work against you most of the way LOL
Just step away for a few minutes and let the dough relax, then work it some more.

I will try this! I make pizza once a week but I have been using the Bobili crust or easy pillsbury fresh dough which turn out pretty damn good if you don’t mind it square? I use Don Peppinos sauce which I love. It is made with Jersey Tomato’s how could it not be great??

I will try this! I make pizza once a week but I have been using the Bobili crust or easy pillsbury fresh dough which turn out pretty damn good if you don’t mind it square? I use Don Peppinos sauce which I love. It is made with Jersey Tomato’s how could it not be great??

I always just use the betty crocker pizza dough packages.. But I think from here on.. I will make my own dough. Also the missus determines she never wants me to make a "normal" pizza pie again! She loved this compared to most of my pizza's..

A square pizza? no man... I make rectangle pizza's.... I always use a 9x13 cookie sheet to make my pizza's if its not a deep dish... Anyone remember the Big foot Pizza from pizza hut?

I learned pizza making with fresh home made crust and everything from a lady that would make her pizza's on a cookie sheet. she was known to make pizza's that would weigh 10-20lbs before cooking. and they would still hold a solid pizza crust!

SO easy to make your own sauce and it will curb stomp canned/jarred stuff.

6-n-1 brand tomatoes (we've tried them all, these are the best BY FAR, we've been buying them by the case from a local italian grocery). add some garlic, oregano, basil, black pepper, red pepper etc. a pretty standard italian spice package, simmer it down for an hour or so to let the flavor marry and you'll have the best pizza sauce you've ever had.

I always just use the betty crocker pizza dough packages.. But I think from here on.. I will make my own dough. Also the missus determines she never wants me to make a "normal" pizza pie again! She loved this compared to most of my pizza's..

A square pizza? no man... I make rectangle pizza's.... I always use a 9x13 cookie sheet to make my pizza's if its not a deep dish... Anyone remember the Big foot Pizza from pizza hut?

I learned pizza making with fresh home made crust and everything from a lady that would make her pizza's on a cookie sheet. she was known to make pizza's that would weigh 10-20lbs before cooking. and they would still hold a solid pizza crust!
Here's the recipe I usually use, it has different amounts for different size pans.
CHICAGO STYLE DEEP DISH PIZZA–THE REAL THING
http://www.realdeepdish.com/RDDHolyGrail.pdf

Good looking effort mate, sauce on top seems strange to me, never heard of it before.
learning on this site daily

Good looking effort mate, sauce on top seems strange to me, never heard of it before.
learning on this site daily

That is exactly what everyone else around me says.... "why the heck did you make pizza with the sauce on top?" LOL

Stop the crust getting soggy maybe?

Nope... according to the wiki...The main reason why they added sauce to the top was because this deep of a pizza takes a while to cook.. and if the cheese and toppings were on top they would burn... So The sauce keeps the toppings from burning and allows plenty of time for the Pizza to get fully cooked.

Back