THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the real question is, where do you get the sawdust?

If you aren't near a lumber yard and don't want to make your own, you can always visit the neighborhood pet store. It's packaged up very neatly in the hamster/gerbil supplies and used for lining cages. A couple dollars will get you a very large supply. It's a lot courser than sawdust, shavings really, but I've raided the kids' hamster supplies for smoking salmon. I don't have one of these fancy gadgets, so don't know if it'll work in this, but expect so.

Check this out Brethren, there's a site that sells all different kinds of wood dust and chips and all kinds of stuff. Here's the link.........

http://www.smokinlicious.com/index.php?Flavored Smokin' Dust

That is really cool and a great find! Interesting that pound for pound that is more expensive than the stuff going on the other side of the grill! I like it that in addition to your garden-variety "flavored" sawdust, there is also "premium" sawdust. I'm sure this is a lot more flavorful than the stuff in the hamster cages.

Thanks for the response! I went ahead and ordered it from you today. I just waited too long and was hoping I could find a US distributor so I could get it in time for Christmas. Not a big deal, though.

OK, stupid question, but I have to ask it. I'd always thought that cold smoking was done around 150 degrees F. But the website for this device says it should be 10-32 C, optimally 24-26C, which is 75.2-78.8 F

Wouldn't this be considered a danger zone for fish? Or does the cure/brine somehow eliminate this concern?

OK, stupid question, but I have to ask it. I'd always thought that cold smoking was done around 150 degrees F. But the website for this device says it should be 10-32 C, optimally 24-26C, which is 75.2-78.8 F

Wouldn't this be considered a danger zone for fish? Or does the cure/brine somehow eliminate this concern?

No such thing as a stupid question.

Cold smoking does not cook the food, merely aids in curing and adds flavour, once the food has been brined or dry cured (the main ingredient being salt, which kills off the bacteria), so the temps on the website are right.
Most food that has been cold smoked will be cooked at a later stage, but some foods can be eaten as is, such as salmon or cheese.

Ian

In cold smoked fish, it is important that the product does not receive so much heat that the number of spoilage organisms are significantly reduced. This is because spoilage organisms must be present to inhibit the growth and toxin formation of C. botulinum type E and no proteolytic types B and F. This inhibition is important in cold smoked fish because the heat applied during this process is not adequate to weaken the C. botulinum spores. Control of the temperature during the cold smoking process to ensure survival of the spoilage organisms is, therefore, critical to the safety of the finished product.

This is what the FDA says. I commercially smoke fish up in Alaska and we can't hit 90F in our smokers. While the salt will control bacteria, the level of salt needed will make the product inedible.

Back