New to me, La Caja China

Eckie

Full Fledged Farker
Found a La Caja China # 2 on craigslist and was able to get it for what i think was a good price(finally, i usually have bad luck with craigslist). I have searched the forums and read various threads (this forum and others, and Chef Perry's)on this cooker, but am wondering if anyone out there has any other info or tips to add that may not have been posted.

I know this isnt a smoker, but i do plan on getting the amazn smoker tray box to try to add some smoke flavor when needed/wanted.

I know you use a fair amount of charcoal on this cooker compared to some other cookers/methods. One of my main questions is if users have tried what would normally be considered 'lesser' or budget charcoals on this rig? I know if i decide to grill on top while cooking, i will take my choice of fuel into consideration.

Has anyone tried cooking with, or supplementing with, wood coals?

I want to cook a pig sometime, but that will not be the norm. Couple butts at a time, racks of spares or chickens will probably be the usual. Anyone had success doing various meats at the same time in the box, or sides such as mac and cheese or beans?

Thanks for any tips, ideas, wisdom or insight!

I've done butts in mine, I add smoke using a generator and a coupler.
I also made a grate to go over the charcoal to cook some brats, burgers, etc.
Haven't done any sides in it.

Been using this for many years but always just for roasting the Christmas pig. I tried lump one time and did not like it. Did not last as long as Kingsford or burn as hot. Never thought of putting a grate on it for grilling.

I haven't cooked on a La Caja China but I've cooked plenty on a Cajun Microwave. Same difference except the CM is deeper. I'm guessing that shallow box will get hotter and burn less fuel than a CM.

You can burn anything you like for fuel except toxic stuff of course. I've used old lumber(not treated), any trees not normally used for smoking and any cheap charcoal. It really doesn't matter since you're not using the smoke.

You can also cook anything that you would cook in the oven, that's basically what it is. I've done beans, mac-n-cheese, broccoli casserole and they all came out great. Some of the best beef ribs I've ever had came off a CM, I grilled them on a top grate first then put in a pan covered to slow cook till tender.

Do a google search for Cajun Microwave and you'll find new ideas and instructions. Here's one showing how to make a jambalaya type dish and tips on getting good cracklin when cooking a hog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKNDGMECCuQ

Thanks for all the replies. I had read about the cajun microwave, but that video was impressive.....that's one 'fancy' cooker right there, a Cadillac compared to what i picked up, but looking at their website, i like the buck and a quarter i paid haha.

Radrob, when you did the beans, mac and cheese and broc casserole...did you do it with meat in there as well? Or separately? Thats what my mimd is trying to process...how to cook things simultaneously (if possible) when you really loose heat by opening /peeking, maybe more so that with other types of cookers.

Im really looking forward to trying mine...especially experimenting with coals or stick wood on top. And the grill for it is pretty cheap for the size, although at first I'll probably just rig up a grate to use.

Do yall have any experience with the a-maze-n smoker tray? Have seen some comments about the humidity affecting pellets smoldering inside, which makes sense. Using a smoke generator plumbed into cooker like SmokerKing said would obviously take care of that..but i do like the idea of not needing electricity and it being all inside the box.

Using a smoke generator plumbed into cooker like SmokerKing said would obviously take care of that..but i do like the idea of not needing electricity and it being all inside the box.

You only need a couple of hours of smoke generating, nothing in the box but the smoke pipe;

8LOhCL.jpg

cokhf2.jpg

Neighbor used to do an annual pig cook in one. It was always delicious with mouth watering, crunchy skin.

He just used good ol' Kingsford Blue Bag. It's hard for some of us to grasp, but sometimes smoke isn't necessary.

Thanks for all the replies. I had read about the cajun microwave, but that video was impressive.....that's one 'fancy' cooker right there, a Cadillac compared to what i picked up, but looking at their website, i like the buck and a quarter i paid haha.

Radrob, when you did the beans, mac and cheese and broc casserole...did you do it with meat in there as well? Or separately? Thats what my mimd is trying to process...how to cook things simultaneously (if possible) when you really loose heat by opening /peeking, maybe more so that with other types of cookers.

Im really looking forward to trying mine...especially experimenting with coals or stick wood on top. And the grill for it is pretty cheap for the size, although at first I'll probably just rig up a grate to use.

Do yall have any experience with the a-maze-n smoker tray? Have seen some comments about the humidity affecting pellets smoldering inside, which makes sense. Using a smoke generator plumbed into cooker like SmokerKing said would obviously take care of that..but i do like the idea of not needing electricity and it being all inside the box.

I would add them to be cooked when the meat is done. I don't know what the charcoal pan is made of but everyone that I cooked on was 1/4" steel or stainless so it holds heat well to let the temperature recover faster than thin metal. Also the CM are insulated to hold heat a little better than just plywood.

I wouldn't want to add smoke to the box, it will always have a smoke smell and it might have an off flavor later on when you don't want it. With that said I don't see why just a chunk of smoldering wood set inside wouldn't give you some smoke. Restaurants use those metal smoker pans to smoke items the same way.

I hadn't thought about smoke in the box and maybe not wanting smoke flavor someday on something..good call. Yeah i think temp will be more of an issue in this vs the insulated cm...ans the lid is fairly thin, so loss and recovery will be more of an issue.

A few very important pieces of advice:

- Resist the urge to load up the top with charcoal or you will scorch your pig. Just follow the directions, look at the online videos, etc.

- Make sure your pig fits the box - there's a difference between dressed weight and live weight! You can always cut the feet off.

- Butterfly the pig all the way through the spine or you will never get it into the rack.

I tried and really liked their Mojo injection on Wilber here.

Pig Butterfly by David Miller, on Flickr

Pig in a Box by David Miller, on Flickr

Caja China by David Miller, on Flickr

Wilber by David Miller, on Flickr

Thanks for the advice Bacchus. Just to be clear...you split all the way through the spine, so that it is totally separated? I knew you needed to split it open, but dis not know it needed to be cut all the way through of thats what you mean.

By "their Mojo injection"..you mean the one on la caja china's website? I'm not sure if I've ever had mojo..

That Butcher's Meat Saw reminds me of the Deer and Antelope we put up every year in Wyoming.
Fill the freezer, eat all year.

Back