THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sweet, you are gonna love that new Stumps, it's the only gravity fed charcoal delivery smoker available commercially.

It really surprises me that nobody else makes a smoker with gravity feed. Other than the clone builders that is.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding your smoker. I have a few simple suggestions that will make perfect sense to you.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding your smoker. I have a few simple suggestions that will make perfect sense to you.

Hey Tony,

Don't keep the secrets to yourself, I love getting info that makes my Stump's better to use.

toys4dlr

Just sent the PM..... email me if you have any questions.

I would be interested in the same PM if you would. Interesting that we both have the same model and the Stoker assist. My biggest questions at the moment are about how to get good smoke flavor and smoke ring, and how best to place the stoker (controller) so that the probes and the fan are within easy range without and tension on the probes, etc. I was considering some sort of extension cable for the fan.

You can get an extension cord at Radio Shack, they are the simple 1/4 audio connects. They will look at you strange, as I don't think sell many of those in a day of 1/8 connections.

I got a couple 20 ft ones to run out to the cooker and have the main box my toy hauler at the comps. So I can just look at it at might and go back to sleep. :-D I have not tried it yet, but I will prior to an event.

For placement, I put the Stoker box on the top of the Stump's opposite of the fire box lid, I run the fan to the ball valve Just right lenght and I can open the fire box to add smoking wood. I just run the temp probe into the door and clip it onto the thermo stem. Just be careful sliding out the top shelf, it can catch the wire. I don't use food probes, so it is only those probes.

You can ask John (at Rock's) to make or probes a little longer, but that info might have come a little too late I am thinking. :-D

I would be interested in the same PM if you would. Interesting that we both have the same model and the Stoker assist. My biggest questions at the moment are about how to get good smoke flavor and smoke ring, and how best to place the stoker (controller) so that the probes and the fan are within easy range without and tension on the probes, etc. I was considering some sort of extension cable for the fan.

I sent you an email too.....

I didn't include info about where to place the stoker..... I normally place it on top of the charcoal hatch and bring the probe through the top of the door seal. The cord will easily reach the middle of the third rack from the top and the fan cord will not be strained either. Just watch so that when you open the firebox door you don't cook the cable. I never have, but it could possibly happen. Also, I don't use the meat/food probe with my stoker. I have found that as long as I have my stoker set at my optimum temperature, the meat doesn't require all that much attention. I use the 3-2-1 method for ribs, and butt and brisket is done when it is time to put the ribs on. Plus I have a few polder and nu-temp therms that magnetically attach to the smoker's door.

Stump stopped making the "Elite". He now has gone back to the 222, 223 and 224. They are, in his words, the best of both worlds. The grate size of the Elites with all the proven simplicity of the 22X models. The main differences I find from the Elites is they do not come with a guru and they are back to one unit. They also do not have the 4, 6, and 8 shelf models, rather they have the 3, 5, and 7 shelf models but now you have enough room between each shelf to be able to do butts, where on the elites you could not use the shelf above when doing large butts.

They do now have a gradually widening chute to help prevent bridging.

Thanks for the info.

Back