THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I read the “terms” correctly, you could pay $30 to join their Reserve Club. This offers you free shipping for a year, after you pay the $30. If you plan to use them multiple times, this could work out to be a good deal.

It is my understanding that a majority of the Wagyu in the market is crossed in this way. This includes SRF.

This product comes from Mishima, the genetic % of Wagyu to Angus is higher . It was explained to me this way by one of the ranchers involved.

SRF = 100% Wagyu bull + Angus Cow
Mishima = 100% Wagyu bull + 50/50 Wagyu/Angus Cow

I personaly find it much richer than SRF and the fats are even softer

huminie: I have not competed before, and not sure if I'd order Waygu if and when I start out. It is expensive, and not sure the benefits outweigh the costs involved.

I was lucky enough to go to Myron's school (not starting a war here which naming Myron usually does in these parts) but that is where I found out about using Waygu in competitions. Myron mentioned SRF so I casually looked them up to see the prices when I got home from the school.

Since I am on the WS email list I saw them announce the butcher store so I looked to see all of the products, I was not looking just for briskets but at their steaks and other items. I saw the Waygu brisket, I read their info page stating it is used for competitions, so I thought this forum may want to be notified - maybe it is a deal, maybe it is not, I wouldn't know :) Just putting it out there for discussion.

For the $30 shipping for a year, if you order a lot, brisket or otherwise, it is a very competitive offer I would think price wise, if the quality is up there.

This product comes from Mishima, the genetic % of Wagyu to Angus is higher . It was explained to me this way by one of the ranchers involved.

SRF = 100% Wagyu bull + Angus Cow
Mishima = 100% Wagyu bull + 50/50 Wagyu/Angus Cow

I personaly find it much richer than SRF and the fats are even softer

That makes sense considering how rich 100% Wagyu is. I actually prefer my producer's 50% mix compared to his 75%, but that is just me.

The point to know for everyone else is not all Wagyu is created equal. You need to speak to the producer to know the mix as there are no government standards or regs on Wagyu breeding as there is for Angus.

This is cheaper than SRF?

William Sonoma is $98.50 for a 10-13 pound brisket. Works out to $7.58-$9.85/lb.

SRF is $132.50 for a 17-20+ pound brisket. Works out to $7.79-$6.62/lb. I have seen 22lb briskets from SRF and that is $6.02/lb. This includes next day air shipping with a styrofoam box and 6 reuseable freezer packs.

SRF is cheaper.

Not entirely accurate...But your conclusion is spot on. You're factoring in shipping to your location. I can get a 16-17lb for $95 - 15% = $80.75 + $15 shipping = $95.75 to me :becky:

For those who don't know about the SRFBBQ discount; you can use the coupon code: SRFBBQ to get 15% off of your order. :thumb:

Has anyone tried this brisket? How was the flavor? How does it compare to SRF or Strube?

Not entirely accurate...But your conclusion is spot on. You're factoring in shipping to your location. I can get a 16-17lb for $95 - 15% = $80.75 + $15 shipping = $95.75 to me :becky:

For those who don't know about the SRFBBQ discount; you can use the coupon code: SRFBBQ to get 15% off of your order. :thumb:

Just to see what the prices came up as, I tried your code and it didn't work.

And just for comparison sake, a 14-17 lb (the last 2 I ordered were both just over 14 lbs) brisket from SRF shipped to GA is $182.27, which works out to be a little over $12 per pound.

I do beleive true graded Prime can do as well as Wagyu however here in MA to buy either is within $20 of each other. The only way for me to cut the cost of top quality Brisket would be to pay case prices for either however with no way to get my money back from the case briskets that are not competition sized or shaped the cost of eating the not comp usable briskets does not justify thew savings of buying unculled sizes by the case....but that is here in Ma where top quality briskets are not common items.

I definatley think a brand new team should learn on choice briskets before using the more expensive brands....but then again before we made the switch we were cooking in the middle to bottom and immediately after making the switch we went to middle up in placing. Once we really started to learn to cook the good stuff we now are in the top ten frequently so as usual it is a judgment call and mostly based on a teams budget....in my opinion.

Back