New smoker advice

Agdchi

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Hi everyone. I picked up my new Mill Scale 94 gallon yesterday. I opted for the raw finish. They had the exterior coated in some kind of heavy oil / light grease to prevent rusting. I'm thinking of degreasing the exterior prior to seasoning, but thought I would ask for some advice from all of you first. I'm planning to coat the outside with Pam or something similar and tallow on the inside when I season. Would a simple exterior exterior wash with some dish soap and a rinse with a water hose do the trick? It's very sticky and covered in road grime from the 8 hour drive home from Lockhart. The inside is clean and doesn't seem to have any oil applied to to it. Appreciate any advice.

FWIW, it's absolutely awesome! The owners, Matt and Caleb, couldn't have been any nicer or more accommodating to me and my daughter. Great folks!

Second Thirdeye's suggestion, talk to the builder on how to season. The coating it came with may not be intended to be removed.

I believe the coating is Linseed Oil -

Couple good videos on both Workhorse and Que-torial pages on you tube re initial application of linseed oil and how to maintain

I am getting a 48x24 smoker built by Big Phil Smokers - will come in raw untreated steel - I am planning on doing this treatment once I get it home in 6 weeks or so

I'd follow the advice of the manufacturer to clean it like stated above. As far as the outside, I had my smoker left unpainted/raw and use food grade mineral oil on it every 1 to 3 cooks depending on the weather and use. It still looks good.

I suspect that's the linseed oil layer that is not supposed to be removed, only burned in

I am getting a 48x24 smoker built by Big Phil Smokers - will come in raw untreated steel - I am planning on doing this treatment once I get it home in 6 weeks or so

Did you order the new model with 3/8" thick steel? I have a 24x60 on order with Phil scheduled for March delivery.

Merry Christmas to all!

Did you order the new model with 3/8" thick steel? I have a 24x60 on order with Phil scheduled for March delivery.

Merry Christmas to all!

Yes - the new 48 x 24 with 3/8th - added a top shelf and a folding front shelf - hope to get by end of January or first of February

The 60 inch cook chamber is a nice looking pit - can’t go wrong with that foot print

Yes - the new 48 x 24 with 3/8th - added a top shelf and a folding front shelf - hope to get by end of January or first of February

The 60 inch cook chamber is a nice looking pit - can’t go wrong with that foot print

Where are you guys seeing the 3/8” option? Don’t see it on his website. Do his offsets need tubing plates ti get even temps?

Where are you guys seeing the 3/8” option? Don’t see it on his website. Do his offsets need tubing plates ti get even temps?

Correct - Phil put the information out on Facebook about the 3/8" units. He has not mentioned tuning plates in my discussions with him. He did tell me he used to make reverse flow units until he figured out how to get even temps across the cook chamber with direct flow.

Though this has nothing ta do with the why, what or how of linseed oil or any other protective coating....I thought the point of a direct flow was uneven temps...

-D

Though this has nothing ta do with the why, what or how of linseed oil or any other protective coating....I thought the point of a direct flow was uneven temps...

-D

It used to be. Technology has figured it out now.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Austin Smokerworks and others have direct flow smokers that run as even as a good reverse flow smoker these days. Whether you want that or the differential is up to you.

Playing with the fire and dampers will allow most direct flow smokers to be either even or differential in their temperatures. In my case, that is why I'm looking at a Shirley direct flow model. I also plan on using the top shelf a bit like a pizza oven for extra heat to crisp chicken skin or link sausage. I can always do "reverse flow style" if, for example, I have a smoker full of turkeys for Thanksgiving or Christmas hams.

Back