New PK Grills

Interesting. I feel like the WSCG and now this one are sort of trying to justify a luxury price point and positioning themselves alongside the Kamados. The reason I'm not that interested in either the WSCG or the PK 360 at their respective prices is, ironically, that both Weber and the PK offer cookers that I already own and love that probably are at least close to as good for just so much cheaper.

Sort of cannibalizing their own markets.

The WSCG is at least insulated, isn't it? I don't see how the PK 360 can be compared to a Kamado at all without some kind of insulation -- and not just thicker aluminum. Seems like a strange marketing gimmick.

The WSCG is at least insulated, isn't it? I don't see how the PK 360 can be compared to a Kamado at all without some kind of insulation -- and not just thicker aluminum. Seems like a strange marketing gimmick.

Now I have to go look at my PK. I haven't used it in a few years. I have WAY TOO MANY cookers (or, put another way, still not enough cookers!). And I haven't used the PK since I moved few years ago.

I think it is thick cast aluminum. It gets and stays hot sort of like cast iron. I wouldn't say it holds temps as well as my Egg, but if I recall it is WAY more insulated than, say, a kettle.

I thought the WSCG was sort of like a kettle-thick layer, some air, then another kettle-thick layer. I'd think the PK would be a little better insulated than that (due to the thick cast aluminum), but not as well insulated as an Egg.

Now that I've typed this all, I really want to go home and cook something on each this weekend and report back. Sounds like a plan :)

It is clear that I do not know anything about thermodynamics from a technical perspective. If you can believe it, I have two engineering degrees plus another 30 credits. Alas, it is Computer Engineering...not REAL engineering. Also, I've more or less forgotten all that stuff over time and am now more of an administrator. Damn beer and meetings :)

That said, here is some of their marketing material:
"Aluminum conducts heat more efficiently than other common grill materials which provides for a smooth distribution of heat around the PK capsule resulting in very even cooking without the need to constantly turn or reposition the food on the grill."

and

"The edges of the heavy top and bottom castings of the PK grill are worked by hand to ensure a tight seal against heat and smoke. Because of the physical properties of aluminum, the 1/4 inch thick casting of the PK allows it to perform as much like an oven as an outdoor grill, distributing heat very evenly and allowing you to cook your barbecue low and slow with great coverage"

If you read reviews on amazon and such, there is definitely a theme on heat retention. Also, my recollection (few years old) is that the PK holds heat WAY, WAY better than something like a kettle. Not quite like an Egg. But basically you heat it up with a small fire and it lasts a long time. Then, when you snuff the fire, it takes a while to cool (way longer than a kettle, not as long as an Egg).

Will take it out of the shed this weekend and try. I've mostly been using my Kettle and WSM lately plus playing with an Old Country Wrangler for all wood fires. I burned the gasket on my small egg a year or so ago and just haven't replaced yet. And the PK was put in the back of the shed when I moved, and I just haven't taken it out in a while. Will burn some fires this weekend and report back.

As stated earlier, aluminum is a great conductor therefore it will also be conducting heat to the air surrounding it on the outside of it as well, instead of keeping that energy inside. Long, low, slow cooks in it I just don't see unless it's in the heat of the summer.

As stated earlier, aluminum is a great conductor therefore it will also be conducting heat to the air surrounding it on the outside of it as well, instead of keeping that energy inside. Long, low, slow cooks in it I just don't see unless it's in the heat of the summer.

Even at 1/4 inch thick? It certainly holds temps in better than a WSM or a Kettle (note - I have a WSM and several kettles and love them...they just don't hold heat as well as the thick PK given the same amount of fuel. The WSM will go for 12+ hours holding temps on a load of charcoal, but it is letting way more heat out than the PK, which is way thicker).

I have cast iron cookware but zero cast aluminum cookware. Just saying.

I also have a boatload of cast iron pots and pans. I think it retains heat a little better than cast aluminum. Though to be fair I don't have any outdoor cast iron cookers (like the lodge). Nor do I have any cast aluminum pots or pans.

This blurb is from America's Test Kitchen (cooks illustrated peeps, right?). Interestingly, it gets 3 stars for heat retention, and so does the kettle. Is it possible the thickness is balanced out by the properties of the metal?

https://www.onlinecookingschool.com/school/tools/526

"Portable Kitchen Cast Aluminum Grill and Smoker
Heat retention was great on this cast aluminum cooker, but space was tight. We crammed 6 quarts of coals below the grate (and a turkey above it), so scorching was a risk. The bars sat level with the rim, so food slipped off. Bottom vents released soot onto the shelf beneath; there was no ash catcher."

One more note - I find it interesting that I seem to be on the side of defending the PK despite the fact that my first post stated I thought the new one was overpriced. As someone said above, Smoke on :)

If I do get to cook out this weekend, I'll snap some pics and write some observations

Last edited:
One more note - I find it interesting that I seem to be on the side of defending the PK despite the fact that my first post stated I thought the new one was overpriced. As someone said about, BBQ on :)

If I do get to cook out this weekend, I'll snap some pics and write some observations

I would really like to see more info on the regular pk grill. It's a grill I would really like to purchase someday. I really wanted to get the new 360 but I just don't think I can swing it at the current price.

I would really like to see more info on the regular pk grill. It's a grill I would really like to purchase someday. I really wanted to get the new 360 but I just don't think I can swing it at the current price.

I will try it one day this weekend. I accumulated too many (in other words, not quite enough) cookers over the years. I loved the PK, and have some pics from way back of cooking in the snow. I let it fall into a bit of disrepair, then moved a couple times.

A while back, I bought new grates. The shell itself is perfect. I think that thing is truly indestructible. I think one of the vents was sticking. I will dig it out, light a fire, and all will be well for the next cook, I bet.

Thanks for the info. Love the look of the Pk. Does anyone have experience smoking on a Pk in colder weather. I use a Weber performer but the thicker metal of the Pk makes this very appealing. Does it hold temp as well as a kamado?

Thanks for the info. Love the look of the Pk. Does anyone have experience smoking on a Pk in colder weather. I use a Weber performer but the thicker metal of the Pk makes this very appealing. Does it hold temp as well as a kamado?

I have smoked in the cold with it. Holds temps like a champ. Probably not quite as well as a Kamado. But it is thick and can cook in any weather. Doesn't use a lot of fuel. Once you get those walls hot, it holds temps well.

I was supposed to light one today. I am smoking a pork butt on the wsm as we speak. Have a turkey breast to cook, too. Perhaps will do that on the PK

Thanks. I've been looking for another grill and the Pk 360 has a nice amount of surface area. Does there classic grill have enough space to cook a brisket I've watched videos but not many with turkey or briskets.

Love the original PK and would really like the 360 on my deck, but if my wife suddenly increased my bbq budget by $900, I don't think it would make the cut.

Back