THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

splastiko

Found some matches.
Picked up a 62lb Pig from the local butcher. A while back I started a thread about my new, and first offset smoker. What better way to really break her in than a piggy.

I did a lot of research here and was able to find a lot of good information from the brethren. Decided to do her racer style, as we were having a party for the LSU / Alabama game.

I'm really happy with the results. She was super tender and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. All we needed was for LSU to pull out the win, but it just wasn't happening. :doh:

Picked up the pig the day before, and injected with a mix of ACV, apple juice, and Big Ron's rub.

fa0aecad-62e0-4bc1-9736-0b7282129b1b_zpstjw2wttn.jpg

Cleaned up the inside cavity and rubbed with Big Ron's Hint of Houston Rub. Put her on the pit at 6 am..

f2fad1f8-8359-496b-96ec-853f6a433d24_zpsbi1x8vni.jpg

About an hr into the cook..

0e112723-91fa-465b-979f-10ebc77da6da_zpsscgmjwbx.jpg

Just before foiling to try and maintain color.

dd3d3b73-fc1f-48c0-902d-b39b4f8a3018_zps3rwgjrjs.jpg

Finished product. Pulled her when the hams and shoulders hit ~180 / 185 and let her rest for about an hr, sorry for the poor picture, the feast began as soon as we started choppin'.

42673d89-f73a-4646-b475-214cf1f1f279_zpse9zaq09u.jpg

That's the way to do it. Looks great and congrats on the new pit.

Thanks! It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to do another one. The cheeks were incredible, finally had a chance to try them!

Pit is a 24" x 48" built by Pits by JJ in Houston, TX

Nice looking pig, What temp did you cook it at and how long did it take to cook? for reference in case I ever get to cook one someday

Nice looking pig, What temp did you cook it at and how long did it take to cook? for reference in case I ever get to cook one someday

We put her on at 6 am, pulled her off around 4. I probably could have taken her off a little earlier, but wanted to make sure it was really tender (it was).

Cooked around 250* with some fluctuations, but nothing too drastic. Really tried to maintain a clean fire. Combined with the tuning plates, the pit held a very consistent and even temp. Very happy so far with this pit.

I did cook a few racks of ribs and a pork butt or two before this pig, but this was my first whole pig, and big cook for a crowd on the new pit. I have a lot more space than on the UDS!

Thanks, as I said earlier, I picked up a lot of info googling previous hog threads on here that really contributed to my success with this one.

Back