THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple year's ago, I bought this old wood cooking stove. Since we don't have a great location to put it in the house, we decided to add it into the outdoor kitchen. I'm really excited to use it.

Yo Phillip, I know the humidity in your area is a lot lower than here in Missouri and you get a lot less rain too. If I were to put that stove outside I would do one of two things to help keep that cast iron from showing rust and protected from the rain.

I would either build a pallet out of angle iron set on heavy casters so you set the stove on the pallet. This way you can store the stove inside the garage and roll it out side when you are wanting to use it. Do you plan on running a smoke stack above the porch and roof of the house? I have an idea on how you can attach the stove to the existing smoke stack.

The other idea is to build a wooden box that can cover the stove from the rain and be easily removed when needed. Good luck.

Lager,

Juggy

Looking good!

Q: What implements are you planning to deploy in this area?

Bruce
Well, that's a good question. The area will be used not only for grilling/q'en but also to film cooking videos. The plan is to have a "staged" area where I can bring different cookers into frame. Some of those include:

Yoder ys480s
Yoder ys1500
Yoder Cimmaron
Klose offset
Traeger Lil' Pig
Weber kettle
4 drum smokers
and others....

In addition, we may place an old wood cook stove out there permanently as well, along with a bar/table, and sink.

In time, the windows will be covered with barndoor shutters.

Yo Phillip, I know the humidity in your area is a lot lower than here in Missouri and you get a lot less rain too. If I were to put that stove outside I would do one of two things to help keep that cast iron from showing rust and protected from the rain.

I would either build a pallet out of angle iron set on heavy casters so you set the stove on the pallet. This way you can store the stove inside the garage and roll it out side when you are wanting to use it. Do you plan on running a smoke stack above the porch and roof of the house? I have an idea on how you can attach the stove to the existing smoke stack.

The other idea is to build a wooden box that can cover the stove from the rain and be easily removed when needed. Good luck.
Lager,
Juggy

We're with you Juggy. Not sure yet what we will do, but we have also considered a rolling platform. Hope all is well.

Looks great Phillip. Is there plumbing along the back wall of the house? I’ve done a couple outdoor kitchens and having hot and cold running water outside is pretty awesome.

Looks great Phillip. Is there plumbing along the back wall of the house? I’ve done a couple outdoor kitchens and having hot and cold running water outside is pretty awesome.

Yes sir! That is definitely planned at some point.

Back