THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cjm8232

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hello Everyone,

I am new a member here and have been browsing for about 1 week or so and you guys really have a great forum here!

2 weeks ago I purchased a 2013 Weber Spirit SP-310 (my first ever real gas grill).

I think I like this grill (I have no choice it was $550)...However, it doesn't get as hot as my old cheap-o uni-flame grill from wal-mart. It's impossible to sear a steak or really get much maillard reaction going on at all on any meats. My hood thermometer hits 600 when it's closed. I am not sure of my grate temp since I am still waiting for my thermoworks probe to arrive.

My question is: would it be dumb to place one of the grates directly on top of the flavorizer bars to get the food closer to the burners?

Hmmm... I wouldn't think you'd have a problem searing on a three burner. It's rated at 32,000 BTU. My old Genesis is a three burner rated at 36,000 BTU and it sears great. 4,000 BTU doesn't seem that much of a difference.

I'm not sure about putting a grate on the flavorizer bars, but I can't see where it would hurt.

You could also try Grillgrates. I bought a set when they were on Woot.com a while back and I've been using them on my pellet grill and I am very happy.

Here is a steak I cooked on them recently...

66122_10200197211044872_775487445_n.jpg

That looks like an awesome steak! I was thinking of trying out a set of those grillgrates. I just find it odd that my old cheap-o uni-flame seemed to get hotter than this weber.

On the uni-flame with the 3 burners on high you had to keep the lid open, otherwise you'd burn everything. On this Weber the 3 burners seem like they have to be on high the whole time and if you want any sort of heat the lid has to be down. I like to do steaks and burgers on high with the lid open so as not to roast them with convection heat.

I called Weber and it seems like my grill is acting normal. I guess they are just not that hot with the lid open. I'll be interested to see what my grate temp is once I get my thermoworks probe.

On the other hand I'm going to try and set one of the grates directly on the flavor bars and see what I get for searing. I'll report back!

Back