THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As far as the marinade, I think I will still do that tonight. My wife will thank me if it has a sour flavor on the outside as she loves sour and acidic taste, and me I will take the chance but sparingly. I am applying a rub tomorrow morning.

I will also not spritz and do my absolute best not to open the lid. I do have a digital meat thermometer with cable that can extend outside of the smoker, so I can monitor the temp without opening the lid.

Oh, one last thing I remember hearing/reading somewhere that's been good advice for me. When temp drifts high or low and you must adjust things, make a small change to your controls (gas knob for me, vents for you) and wait 5 minutes before touching the smoker again. There's usually a big delay from input to result in temperature so you need to see where things settle before you go messing with it again. If you don't you'll be chasing temperatures a lot.

if temp swings are your concern, place a digital thermo in your oven, set temp to 350, then monitor the temps on the digital readout. You'll find that a household oven has huge swings in temp. If your cooker is goin up and down by 30-40 degrees, don't sweat it. If it starts to climb in temp to 300, don't sweat it. Just adjust the cook time. Chasing cooking temps is a waste of energy, let the magic happen. Choking a cooker down to 230, when it wants to run at 270 is one of the largest sins in my BBQ world :)

Just under 6hrs in, Internal temps are around 150-160 range. I have been pretty happy with my mods to the SNG. The temps have been much higher and much more consistent. 225-250 the entire time and I have only had to touch it twice thus far.

Back