New Member from Northern IL

shooterSVT

Found some matches.
Howdy everyone! I ran into Ron_L through work and he turned me onto the forum.

While I've loved eating Q for years (my waistline proves this) I only started cooking a few years ago. I was visiting friends in Arkansas (home of the toothbrush) and ran into their friends who have a BBQ competition team and tailgating group. We cooked two briskets, 10 slabs of Baby backs, 4 pork shoulders, some pork from my buddies hunt, some Dove breasts the neighbor shot that morning (I said this was Arkansas right) and drank more beer than I can remember all in preparation for a 40th birthday celebration.

IMG_4644.jpg

So that got me hooked. A local Union Electrician buddy I was telling about the trip said he was part of a friendly local BBQ throw down and I got an invite. I only had my Weber Kettle at the time, but my goods were good enough, and I took first place out of about a dozen guys.

2013-07-20%2016.05.57.jpg

I soon purchased a Smokenator 1000 and started doing pork shoulders, chickens, sausages, wings and ribs.

https://www.smokenator.com/

This was great, but the Smokenator had a learning curve, as all smokers do, and long smokes were a challenge.

But said Electrician buddy travels a lot, and so I have on extended loan his Big Baby that he built. He's also a decent welder!

2016-09-07%2016.36.17-1.jpg

It's a great "traditional" smoker in that it belches beautiful smoke, but it eats a lot of wood and can be temperamental in rain or the cold. I've done a lot of cooking on her, but I'm ready to move on. So pending a little extra cash, I'll be purchasing a Rec Tec 680 in a few weeks. I've done my research and this is my girl. Plus my neighbor has one and he can testify (as can I) as to the quality over 4 years as well as the customer service.

So on to the intros.

My name is Todd. I like long walks on the beach, Nicholas Sparks books and Sandra Bullock movies.

Just kidding. I don't like any of that crap!

My name is Todd. I like Motorcycles.

2016-03-29%2011.51.11.jpg

I love off roading.

2016-04-11%2007.08.42.jpg

I love cooking for people and watching them enjoy the fruits of my labors. I'm a big shooter and have two kids (ages 5 and 9) and a wonderful wife who puts up with me.

Since the Big Baby is such a PITA, I've only done a single brisket that was just okay. So with the promise of a pellet smoker, I look forward to more beef. The ease of the pellet smoker also means I'll be doing more smoking. I'm looking forward to a Prime Rib roast, a bacon wrapped pork loin and some fish. Suffice to say my belly isn't getting any smaller over this coming summer.

Thanks for reading and look forward to meeting some of you at Ron_L's event at the end of the month.

Todd

My name is Todd. I like long walks on the beach, Nicholas Sparks books and Sandra Bullock movies.

Funny :laugh: :laugh: Welcome to The Brethren Todd

I can tell that you will fit right in :-D

Welocme to the asylum, Todd! It's good to see you on!

Even if you Know Ron-L.

Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Todd welcome to the forum from sunny SE Az. I was worried for second when you started talking about walks on the beach and chick flicks.

Back