THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks real nice. I think the price is very fair for what you get. Sure, a UDS can be built cheaper, but if you want someone else to build it for you, you have to pay for the labor. It is less than the 22" WSM, which I would consider the competitor, not a UDS. BDS's aren't cheep either.

The fire basket looks a little small. Have you done a long cook on it yet to see how long you can go without refilling? I wonder why it has a door, but maybe this is the reason?

I wish them luck, because this looks like a really nice smoker.

Great pics!

I have a couple construction questions:

1) What guage metal, and what coating/painting is used inside/outside on the body of the drum?

2) The charcoal plate and base looks like is uses a tab-lock system for the drum to "lock on" - are there handles on the drum itself to lift off / set on without having hands directly in-contact with the drum?

3) Does the lid fit work the same way, with a tab-lock, or is it just a sit-on-top?

4) Any airflow / leakage issues with the recessed door fit "as is"? Being close to the firebox, I always worry about hinge shifting and warpage with those types of designs.

Thanks for sharing!

1) .8 mm thick steel, painted with 500 C high heat paint.

2) No handles on drum. There are no locks on the bottom just aliagnment
tabs.

3) No tab lock for lid. It just sits on.

4) It isn't air tight but it does a great job of containing heat and smoke.

The fire basket looks a little small. Have you done a long cook on it yet to see how long you can go without refilling? I wonder why it has a door, but maybe this is the reason?
Charcoal tray holds 15 lbs of briquets. Darren smoked 12-13 hours in 36 F weather.

Door is to add wood to charocoal mid smoke, to add charcoal if you run low, to add water if you run low and to look at the meat on bottom rack.

almost seems like a large brinkmann, ecb. not near the quality of the wsm and the price is the same as a wsm ? i'm not seeing it. would be ok if it was cheaper. hope the get it straightened out and sell it cheaper.

Ironically, while buying parts for my new UDS, I saw some of these in KC today. It looked solid enough. I thought the basket looked small too, but I think someone said it can handle a whole bag. This is an interesting market position... nicer version of a UDS but cheaper than WSM.

A couple of question on this smoker. I've currently got a BDS & been using the Brinkman types since I was a wee one so the drum/bullet types interest me most. Can you tell me about the grate height between the 2 grates as well as to the lid? Is the smoker made up of 3 sections like a WSM or is it like my BDS a lid & barrel? Is the thickness of the metal like that of a WSM? I assume so due to price. On the holes for temp control, is it controllable in that you can have a partial hole open for finer temp control or is it full holes 1-2-3-4 only. Did you find it gappy anywhere or have problems w/ the door?

Back