THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sknabnoj

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jon
Hey Everyone, I've done some searching for a few of these temp controllers but, I'm not finding a ton of info (or as much as I'd like). Long story short, I just got a scream of a deal on a NIB 22.5'' WSM and I'd like to get a Temp Controller for it. My budget would ideally be under $200 and I'm a pretty simple dude so, things like Bluetooth and Wifi (while nice) are not necessities. Here's the ones I've found that look interesting but, I just don't know much about them:

Lavalock Temp Controller: Looks nice, looks simple as far as how to control it, has the biggest fan at 50cfm. Lavalock has been a household name in the WSM world for their gaskets and what not but, the temp controller looks fairly new.

BBQube: Looks very new but, has some interesting perks and what not just, don't have a lot of info on it. They have a box you can rig up with a battery for comp or camping use, bluetooth and wifi, easy controls, high end probes.

Auber Intruments: Probably the most well known of the 3 I put on here... maybe with their reviews I just stay safe and go with this one?

In the end, what do you all know about the above 3 controllers? Are there some I'm missing that I should consider?

Hey Everyone, I've done some searching for a few of these temp controllers but, I'm not finding a ton of info (or as much as I'd like). Long story short, I just got a scream of a deal on a NIB 22.5'' WSM and I'd like to get a Temp Controller for it. My budget would ideally be under $200 and I'm a pretty simple dude so, things like Bluetooth and Wifi (while nice) are not necessities. Here's the ones I've found that look interesting but, I just don't know much about them:

Lavalock Temp Controller: Looks nice, looks simple as far as how to control it, has the biggest fan at 50cfm. Lavalock has been a household name in the WSM world for their gaskets and what not but, the temp controller looks fairly new.

BBQube: Looks very new but, has some interesting perks and what not just, don't have a lot of info on it. They have a box you can rig up with a battery for comp or camping use, bluetooth and wifi, easy controls, high end probes.

Auber Intruments: Probably the most well known of the 3 I put on here... maybe with their reviews I just stay safe and go with this one?

In the end, what do you all know about the above 3 controllers? Are there some I'm missing that I should consider?

I've got the Auber. It worked ok. Below freezing temps and it will not work - needs to be in a warmer environment so I normally would set it on the WSM in my enclosure.

That said, I, too, thought wifi or bluetooth was just silly and opted for the cheaper model. Well, enough winters of either not cooking or being out there when it's below zero and guess what I ordered a couple months ago? Yeah, the Auber with wifi.

I've only used it twice, and the initial setup really sucked because it was -10 and windy, but it seems to work well.

Then I went and got a Vision grill, and that's been my new toy.

I'd recommend spending the money once, not realizing down the road that you'd like to upgrade. Just my .02.

I've got the Auber. It worked ok. Below freezing temps and it will not work - needs to be in a warmer environment so I normally would set it on the WSM in my enclosure.

That said, I, too, thought wifi or bluetooth was just silly and opted for the cheaper model. Well, enough winters of either not cooking or being out there when it's below zero and guess what I ordered a couple months ago? Yeah, the Auber with wifi.

I've only used it twice, and the initial setup really sucked because it was -10 and windy, but it seems to work well.

Then I went and got a Vision grill, and that's been my new toy.

I'd recommend spending the money once, not realizing down the road that you'd like to upgrade. Just my .02.

Really good point, appreciate the perspective. I didn't realize that Auber had a Wifi option, I'll look at that.

Still wondering about those other two controllers I mentioned above, I wish there was someone with more experience there.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't know anything about the controllers you mentioned...or any controller for that matter. I've never owned or used one.

I do have a question. What is your specific reason for wanting a PID for a WSM?

And just so you know...it's ok that you want one...I just am wondering why? Is it just a "gadget" thing? And that's ok too...I like certain gadgets as much as the next guy.

Just wondering.

i would save your money until you could afford the digi Q. Learn to control the fire without the temp controller first, the WSM's are pretty easy to learn. Then introduce the temp controller to get some rest for longer cooks.

The biggest fan (cfm) might not be the best for your smoker. If its 50 cfm your going to have to choke it down a lot for the WSM. Too much air too quick and the fire will spike a lot and not burn as clean. small consistent puffs is what you want.

I have tried the Aubers (had 3 of them) and never had good luck with them. Always a constant struggle with them to maintain steady temp. Their biggest fault is the fan design. If any ash (or any dirt) gets near the fan it will mess up the bearings and you'll have to replace the fan ($45)

Ever since I switched to the digiQ and CyberQ I havn't had a single problem. They run my WSM 18 and 22 perfectly for me.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't know anything about the controllers you mentioned...or any controller for that matter. I've never owned or used one.

I do have a question. What is your specific reason for wanting a PID for a WSM?

And just so you know...it's ok that you want one...I just am wondering why? Is it just a "gadget" thing? And that's ok too...I like certain gadgets as much as the next guy.

Just wondering.

I would agree. I own two WSMs and have had a few others (never an 18" strangely) over the years. The whole point of a bullet (IMO) it to dial it in and let it go. After a few cooks, I doubt you will want or need one. Don't get me wrong, I love BBQ toys too. I just love ones that I will keep playing with more than a PID.

I would agree. I own two WSMs and have had a few others (never an 18" strangely) over the years. The whole point of a bullet (IMO) it to dial it in and let it go. After a few cooks, I doubt you will want or need one. Don't get me wrong, I love BBQ toys too. I just love ones that I will keep playing with more than a PID.

I get it, I'm definitely not unfamiliar with the fire control, I have a UDS, 18.5 WSM and a Big Bubba Keg I have used for years without a temp controller...

I'm a BBQ Gear junky though so, I have to try it!! Hence the reason I really don't want to spend a ton just because I won't use it every time. Thanks for the input though fellas, good info.

Low $$, High return is GrillEye! Been using it for 2 years now without a problem. Great phone app too.

Looks awesome but, doesn't look like it controls pit temp. I've never seen this one though, maybe have to spend some more money on another gadget soon!! :)

The biggest fan (cfm) might not be the best for your smoker. If its 50 cfm your going to have to choke it down a lot for the WSM. Too much air too quick and the fire will spike a lot and not burn as clean. small consistent puffs is what you want.

The lavalock 50 cfm fan is variable speed just like all the other fans / controllers out there. They are selling one fan for a variety of pits to cover a larger market.

I have a DigiQ DX2 w/viper and WSM adapter i am thinking of selling with a Trail Embers 22.5" Its a nice charcoal smoker. Im just looking to get enough to buy the Fireboard drive cable and blower so i can use it with my Weber Master Touch.

I've got a Digi Q DX2 for my 22" WSM. Don't need it, but its cool to have. While WSM is pretty set and forget on it's own, I now trust the Digi Q so much on overnights I've slept a full 8 hours with a packer or butt on the WSM.

Just don't do what I did a few months ago, which is to have several beers and throw a nice 16lb brisket on the pit, set the Digi Q, and take a long siesta only to wake up at 7am with temps about 100 degrees past my set point. The moral of the story....make sure to close all your lower vents with the Digi Q running before going to sleep. Either that or hire a designated bbq buddy to make sure you aren't too drunk to setup something so easy.

Digiq products are nice. I’ve had 2 digiq and one cyberq. Liked all of them. Go over to the sales section on this site. I believe some are still for sale. I just sold two of them with Weber attachments for $125 piece.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back