THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To understand the rule you must be able to define it.
Is that so? A number of people have no problem whatsoever understanding it. Prehaps they're not trying to split the right hairs.

They obviously have a vested interest in it or they wouldn't be here discussing it.
Yes, they obviously have a vested interest in continuing to cook as they please, which they "preceive as an advantage".

I haven't had the advisory handed to me ... I did ask that it be posted here by someone who had it but that didn't happen.
Disingenuous once again. You've had the rule in every downloaded copy of KCBS rules, and the advisory has been read at contests. Have you once asked a REP to give you a copy of the advisory, or send you the wording? Why do you claim it's incumbent on members of a message board to supply you with the exact wording of a rule and advisory that they have no trouble following?

Tell you what: why don't you contact a rep, KCBS or someone who can give you the exact authorized wording on the pork advisory, and ask that it be posted here as a sticky. Then that tired old disingenous argument can be laid to rest.

I don't perceive it as an "advantage". We somehow managed to pull in ahead of the nation's top teams a couple weeks ago without needing to part our pork and then "set sauce" on it.

Ok I am going to try and be as respectful as I can. You success is admirable and as a fellow brethren I applaud you on your technique. It is nice when you do something a particular way and prevail. But I must ask you. Is your way the only way? My grandmother taught me that lesson. Just because you have success doing it one way doesn't mean its the only way. Maybe you don't need to set sauce yet others might find that to be their way. Maybe you don't have a problem with heat in your pork while others do. Still it doesn't mean they are wrong and you are right.

We have a lot of diversity in this sport we belong to from spices to woods to cookers. One way isn't the only way. If we as competitors can't put aside our own set in stone interpretations and embrace the diversity of cooking styles we are doomed to make our sport a one ring circus with nothing to look forward to but the same ol' same.

Lets work together, rather than against, to bring a close to this in January at the Banquet.

Disingenuous once again. You've had the rule in every downloaded copy of KCBS rules, and the advisory has been read at contests. Have you once asked a REP to give you a copy of the advisory, or send you the wording? Why do you claim it's incumbent on members of a message board to supply you with the exact wording of a rule and advisory that they have no trouble following?

Not disingenuous at all. The rule was not in question. The rep advisory was. Where did I claim it was, as you say, incumbent on membership to provide me when all i did was ask if someone COULD post it. I only asked...I did not demand. I will have to disagree. There are a few, as we see the posts, who do have trouble following it.
The advisory was read at ONE contest that I attended. Sorry if my friendly feeler was preceived as a outright demand for the rep advisory. I knew there were many here who would have access to it.

Where have I said THAT? I simply illustrated that it is possible to cook well within the rules.

You didn't. That is why I prefaced it with "But I must ask you" which clear meant I was asking you a question not condemning you for it.

We are all passionate about what we "know". Sometimes what we know can be turned on its ear and be found to be totally wrong. Just as the opposite can occur. We should not close down our minds when we preceive our thoughts to be right. Does the sun revovle around the earth? Do flies spontaneously morph out of fecal matter? Does cutting down trees stop the snow from falling? These were all hardened rules at one time in mankinds history. We know different now. Fact is fact and can only be found from due diligence. What we see in these threads every time is due diligence at work. The establishmnet has there side and the others have theres. Doesn't make one more right then the other when there is a difference in interpretation.

Lets all remember why we are really at a comp. To drink, over sleep, and rush like hell to get everything done on time. Oh and pray that we can win a little gas money to take our hungover butts back home.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Fact is fact
And rules are rules. The rule and advisory are fact.

due dilligence
Which you have studiously avoided by claiming that the exact wording of the advisory is so critical that you have avoided obtaining it on your own since July.

Doesn't make one more right then the other when there is a difference in interpretation.
The only "interpretation" that is relevant is that of the sanctioning body.
You can be right all you want, as long as you are right within the rules.

You've had since July to obtain the wording, rather than rely on "friendly feelers".

Since the advisory troubles you so, why have you not done that?

Because I was willing to wait until the rules meeting in January. I find it hard to believe anyone had it read to them and didn't cock their head like a dog hearing a high pitch sound.

Because I was willing to wait until the rules meeting in January. I find it hard to believe anyone had it read to them and didn't cock their head like a dog hearing a high pitch sound.
Really? Since you espouse diversity of cooking styles, you find it hard to believe that anyone has a pork method that doesn't conflict with the advisory?

It's a lot more fun to wait for the rules meeting in January when you can kick it around in a forum for months in the meantime.
shiner.gif

Which you have studiously avoided by claiming that the exact wording of the advisory is so critical that you have avoided obtaining it on your own since July.

Actually that is completely false. If you were to read the other threads that lead up to this one you would know I took it on as a little pet project to ask EVERY rep at EVERY contest after they annouced a rep advisory to show it to me. Didn't hear one until end of September. So yes I did my due diligence. Is there a problem with putting out friendly feelers for the author of this thread?

I would like you to try and stop with your attacks to make me look like a whiny little brat who has nothing to say. All of your attempts to marginalize me have been met with proper response to rebute your accusations about my disingenuous ways. If you wish to be right and prove me wrong then please post the rule and advisory and show me where my interpretation is wrong and yours is right. This isn't a challenge nor am I trying to make you look bad. I just can not sit idle when someone tries to silence the other side when they truly have a right to speak. My interpretation is no more wrong or right then yours and the advisory did not help change that.

its a shame that every time one of these threads appears with genuine concern from a member that the pork nazi's come out screaming...."whats so hard to understand"...."this the way it is period".... "the rules is the rules". Why can't we just do the right thing and give that person the tools to see for themselves. How hard is it just to post the rule? We still haven't posted the rep advisory either yet we can scream and yell at those with different interpretations. What would this forum be if we acted like this when someone asked how to prep a brisket or build a uds or run the minion method. Heck we'd be just as well off as the forum poobah left to build this one.

I will leave you all with this. None of you know what the rule means and that is because none of you can positively indentify what is meant by the wording. Both the rep advisory and the current rule are written in poor grammar and would never stand up to any scrutiny. What we need to do is be at the rules meeting and help the bod write a concise and rock solid interpretation of the intent of the rule. Not to fight our fellow cooks on it. Not to condemn the interpretations of other you don't agree with. To help the membership come up with something acceptable to all.

By fighting to remove what you preceive as someone elses advantage only gives you an unfair advantage when you succeed.

amen

Really? Since you espouse diversity of cooking styles, you find it hard to believe that anyone has a pork method that doesn't conflict with the advisory?

Nope that not what I am saying. In fact I am sure there are those out there who strip their money muscle at a low temp and put that butt back on to get great pulled pork. That is against the rules and the advisory. The cocked head comment meant that the wording of the advisory is written in very poor grammar. Two or three of the sentences end without conclusion. My tyrannical 4 grade teacher would give us that paragraph to diagram just to watch us sweat.

Actually that is completely false. If you were to read the other threads that lead up to this one you would know I took it on as a little pet project to ask EVERY rep at EVERY contest after they annouced a rep advisory to show it to me. Didn't hear one until end of September. So yes I did my due diligence.
Sounds like you need to bring your reps' performance to the attention of KCBS. How many contests did you attend since July that did not comply with the reading of the advisory?

I would like you to try and stop with your attacks
Where have I attacked you?

This isn't a challenge
No, it's not. The only challenge seems to lie in actually following the rules.

I am sure there are those out there who strip their money muscle at a low temp and put that butt back on to get great pulled pork. That is against the rules and the advisory.
Yes, it is. Nor do we find it necessary to do that.
I am wondering why you felt the need to introduce that?

Sounds like you need to bring your reps' performance to the attention of KCBS. How many contests did you attend since July that did not comply with the reading of the advisory?

Where have I attacked you?

Anyone who has read this thread sees what I see. Comments meant to inflame a situation and cloud content are preceived as attacks.

No, it's not. The only challenge seems to lie in actually following the rules.

Oh this fits in with the previous quote. Thanks for the proof.

Yes, it is. Nor do we find it necessary to do that.
I am wondering why you felt the need to introduce that?

I welcome you and anyone else to come and sit in my compound around prk turn in time. If you were diligent about being informed on this debate you would have seen numerous times that I didn't even use the saucing and warming technique....just knew of people who did. People who I consider upstanding and honorable competitors. I found it hard to believe that the first thought out of other competitors minds was that these good people were cheaters. But I guess we just have those people in this world who will always think the worst...and then put their horrible thoughts of others out on a board for all to see. Oh and is this an attack on my integrity? I surely hope not.

That may indeed be legal, but that technique would seem to be walking a very fine line...

What line? Not even close, the pork does not ever come close to a cooker after I "Part" it.

Is this any different then putting your parted pork in a heated cambro?

Or mixig with heated sauce?

Back