new ingredients and techniques in my Mex cooking

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Just back from 8 weeks driving around Mexico. I have fallen in love with Mexican food! I've done a bit of Mexican cooking at home but it's time to experiment a little. I had become competent at tamales and enchilada sauce and several meat dishes. On this trip I noticed chicharrones used as a filler for tacos, enchiladas and the like. I tried one. I loved it! The trick is to make a sauce from dried peppers a la enchilada sauce and then to simmer the fried pork skins until they soften. Then you use the chicharrones and the sauce as an ingredient. I got a sack to bring home and try. Can't wait!

Thinking about enchiladas, I was musing about what if I put a piece or two of bacon in an enchilada and followed that with an all-beef hot dog? Now that's a Mex fusion dish!

seattlepitboss

Have you tried Mexican oregano in any recipes?
I ordered some online a while back and it makes a subtle difference in my chili.
It adds a different flavor than Italian style oregano (and is from another family of herbs).
It leans a little towards licorice. I grind it down fine in a mortar and pestle
before adding it in.

Big fan of Mexican food although I really don't cook it. Can't wait to see these cooks you are talking about.

Have you tried Mexican oregano in any recipes?
I ordered some online a while back and it makes a subtle difference in my chili.
It adds a different flavor than Italian style oregano (and is from another family of herbs).
It leans a little towards licorice. I grind it down fine in a mortar and pestle
before adding it in.

A friend introduced us to Mexican Oregano a few years ago! It makes a huge difference in our Mexican dishes!

A friend introduced us to Mexican Oregano a few years ago! It makes a huge difference in our Mexican dishes!

Absolutely! Mexican oregano is a totally different plant species. Get you some. If you can't find it, marjoram, a citrusy relative would be a better substitute than European oregano.

PpqBkihh.jpg

Back