THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wildherre

Found some matches.
I'm a Midwesterner and new to real BBQ... I'm looking at buying a very small town bar and grill and am looking at options for good food with the small kitchen space. Came down to Pizza or BBQ.. Last Saturday I sought out and visited a BBQ joint in a small town that has opened recently and been getting mostly good reviews on Yelp... They have only been open a few months but this is the guys 2nd location, the other being in a larger town 25 miles or so away. I had noticed their trailer style pit out back and was curious.. On Saturday, I got there about 3 in the afternoon and was the only one there. I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with Carolina sauce and mac & cheese... My food arrived in a couple minutes.. The sandwich was huge & I could smell the smoke from the pork.. The pork was delicious & I was already thinking about when I could come back... The mac & cheese wasnt very impressive , kind of mushy and tasteless, hardly any cheesy taste. The pork just left me wanting more even though I was stuffed.
I returned Tuesday at 6pm and was anxious to get some more of that goodness. They had a 2 fer special on pulled pork sandwiches so I ordered 2, had 1 wrapped to go to take to a family member...
When my plate arrived, again very quickly, I couldn't smell the smoke like i could before.. When I took a bite, the texture was moist but different and had much milder smoke flavor and there seemed to be noticeable bits of tasteless fat. The mac & cheese was the same as the previous visit.. When I was leaving I drove around back to get a look at his pit only to find it missing, then I spotted it out front. He had moved it out front by the street to draw attention... So I'm guessing I was the victim of leftover Q.. I ate the other to-go sandwich later myself as it wasn't worthy of being a gift.. I guess next time Ill keep driving if the pit is out by the road...
Im still excited about Q in the bar with its great taste & fast ticket times but realize serving leftovers wont cut it...
Right now Im thinking a insulated gravity feed pit being that in the north and some cvap ovens for holding... Is saving shoulder and brisket for next day serving possible while maintaining high standards or are leftovers only suitable for ingredients? Can you cook a day ahead, quick chill and rethermalize the next day in a Alto Shaam or cvap.. May have to limit Q to the weekends & serve q ingredient items on the really slow days? Or 2 pits, using a smaller one for small batches for the slower days.. Food quality is my main concern.. I want them leaving thinking about when they can come back...Thanks, Ken

Last edited:
Welocme to the asylum!

If you are interested, a group of us are getting together on Sunday (8/10) for a day of fun and BBQ in the SW suburbs of Chicago. I know that's a drive for you, but I wanted to extend the invitation.

The details are in the link in my signature below.

Proceeding with plan.. Acquired a suitable building in Kankakee County,IL after a year or so of looking...Renovating the building now..Hope to have the bar open in February with food to follow shortly.... Building sat empty for many years so dealing with frozen water pipes etc... All the standard problems with opening a food establishment with Liquor & gaming licensing thrown in for a few additional gray hairs Enjoying the process.. wildherre
https://plus.google.com/+Mugrooters/about

Glad ya joined the forum. Sounds like ya know some about business and cooking.
Let us know how it goes.
Lots of good advice here about both.

Best to you on your venture.

Back