New guy here, looking for help with a brand new OJ Highland

IslandMountainFarm

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I'm going to cut right to the chase. My wife and I raise some great meat for bbq, heritage pigs and hair sheep. We've been married for over 34 years and have owned a large Big Green Egg for over 30 of those years together. Been a great tool for bbq in north central WA where we get long, cold, windy winters.

This coming summer we want to put on a party for some of our long standing loyal customers. One BGE isn't going to do the job. I was going to come on here and ask for advice concerning the best value on a new piece of equipment to produce some great bbq for 25 to 30 people.

That was yesterday. Today my dear wife just came back from town with a brand new, unopened box, Oklahoma Joe's Highland smoker in the back of her truck. Didn't believe the price she paid for it until she showed me the Wally Mart receipt for $100. Apparently the local store was closing them out and she snagged the last one.

Should be out working but have spent my lunch break reading all I can about this unit. Wouldn't have been my first (or second or third) choice but for the money I'm thinking my sweetheart did a great job. The sucker is heavy enough, I'm waiting for a friend to get it out of the truck.

I'd like to get off to a good start with it so I'm looking for suggestions of modifications I should do as I assemble it. I've read about some of the add on devices I can buy or build after the smoker is up and ready to go.

Any help you guys want to offer on how to get off to the best possible start with this smoker would be greatly appreciated. I know there are much better smokers out there but I haven't been happily (mostly) married for all these years by not appreciating my wife's bargain finding skills.

Welcome. You got yourself a great lady.

I have the same smoker. I'm still struggling with fire management and if you are coming from the BGE and want to use the OK Joe as a stick burner then you might too. Also get yourself some wood and start practicing your fire management. For me it's been harder than I expected but like all things I'm sure with practice it will be fine. So get yourself some seasoned wood.

Everyone recommends two things
1) a baffle - a cookie sheet is an inexpensive option
2) rotating the grate in the firebox 90 degrees so it sits higher

If you are interested in using it for charcoal (or some say for fuel efficiency) you can get some smoker gaskets to close the gaps which you'll find all around the OK Joe.

Other possible additions
1) heat plate to distribute the heat along the left and right side of the cooker
2) lower the exhaust pipe so the heat goes more evenly across the cooking chamber grated
3) build a 20/20 or similar charcoal basket
4) thermometers

Many recommend your stick to just the basic modifications then add more as you get used to the cooker.

Outside of that just get her fired up, let it get hot, then season it. Once that's done just get to cooking some cheaper cuts as you learn your cooker. Oven thermometers are great for determining how much variation in temp you have side to side. Keep in mind many cook with the firebox vent door completely open and from what I've read this cooker likes to hang out at 275 degrees +/- 25 if you get the hang of it.

Best of luck!!

I don't like the Highlands Size - I like the Longhorns size, more cooking space and drafts Better when loaded with Meat. I prefer Old Country Pecos.

On Highland I wouldn't worry about gaskets. Turn firegrate and add convection plate, maybe run a waterpan ( trial n error on water pan). Down size your splits to 1/8 (split the splits) or cut in half length wise. Run 275*ish .

Study this
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209208

Wow, I will be studying your suggestions in detail. My friend just came over and we got the box off the truck, pretty freakin' heavy. No wonder it took 4 "associates" to get it in the bed.

My main concern is not having to take it apart to do any modifications after I've assembled it if I can help it. I read in aa few places where people used RTV adhesive to make a gasket between the two halves of the fire box and then another one before they bolted the fire box onto the smoker.

Hopefully we're in for a few days of rain so I've got time to round up that material before I take thing out of the box and put my new toy together.

To add gasket material, or not to add gasket material, that is the question.

Nice score and good luck perfecting you offset skills.

I have the Highland. It’s not as efficient as my UDS, but it is fun.
I added the gaskets to the fire door and smoke chamber door.
I caulked the space between the fire chamber and smoke chamber on the initial build.
I added the clamps for the smoke chamber.
I added a deflector made out of a cookie sheet.
I use a meatloaf pan as a water pan.
I removed and closed both thermometer holes.
I use a digital probe for temp.
I start my fire with a chimney of lump and feed 12” splits cut in half or thirds. I feed about every half hour to maintain temp.
I love the sit and tend the fire process the small offset allows me.

It does NOT need MODS.
I like convection plates, however a plate is not needed to cook with a Highland.
Save your time and money.

Later,
Doug

I have the longhorn and love cooking on it both at home and for competitions. It will require some fire tending, especially for longer cooks, but it'll produce some fantastic food! Keep your exhaust baffle wide open and adjust your fire box as needed to control temp. Enjoy!

I don't have the Highland, but do have a similar off-set. I leave both intake and exhaust wide open. I also have the bottom of the firebox wide open (Brinkman Trailmaster). The fire and temp are controlled by size of the split. The splits I use are about 8" long and the diameter of a soda can. You should do some practice cooks to learn your fire management. Don't worry about 50 degree temp swings.

Back