THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jemcgriff

Name or Nickame
J
So, currently, my "smoker" is my 22 inch Weber Kettle with a slow n sear, which I'm ok with right now.

Because of covid, I can only realistically some things that my wife and I can eat, or eat a healthy portion of and only have to freeze a minimal amount. So I can't do something like a full brisket, only a flat or point.

I have smoked a pork butt, pork ribs, a chuck roast, and even a turkey. (and all the of the hot and fast staples like steaks, burgers and dogs)

What would you suggest as a new challenge, or a new take on something I have already done?

Thanks!

Lamb and fish are things that aren’t on your list of what you’ve cooked. You could try taking a pork butt and making pork steaks. Have you ever done beef ribs?

Lamb and fish are things that aren’t on your list of what you’ve cooked. You could try taking a pork butt and making pork steaks. Have you ever done beef ribs?

Opps, you are right, I didn't mention fish. I have done salmon on cedar planks before.

On the pork butt/pork steaks, do you mean steaks cut from the pork shoulder?

I actually see beef short ribs on sale at my local grocery store, so thinking of doing those this weekend.

Last edited:
California tri-tip tacos

1. Slather with Worcestershire and rub with coarse salt and pepper
2. Cook at 225°F until the meat reaches 135°F internal
3. Sear
4. Slice against the grain
5. Enjoy in flour tortillas with pico, avacado, lime, and cilantro

Bean
Chili
Enchiladas
Pork Tenderloin
Fish
Shell Fish
Mac N Cheese
Meat Loaf
Bologna - Then make smoked bologna sandwiches
Pork Bellie
Smoked Bacon
Smoked fattie

Do you have a vortex? Vortex wings are amazing. I also use it to cook a lot of Asian food with a wok.

If not, marinated chicken thighs for tacos is a weeknight staple at my house.

Do you have a vortex? Vortex wings are amazing. I also use it to cook a lot of Asian food with a wok.

If not, marinated chicken thighs for tacos is a weeknight staple at my house.

A vortex is on my wish list of items, lol. I have heard it does really well with wings though!

California tri-tip tacos

1. Slather with Worcestershire and rub with coarse salt and pepper
2. Cook at 225°F until the meat reaches 135°F internal
3. Sear
4. Slice against the grain
5. Enjoy in flour tortillas with pico, avacado, lime, and cilantro

I've read you can cook a tri-tip like a brisket!

Beef short ribs (plate cut). Leftovers make great tacos.
Pork Belly for sure.
Have your butcher cut pork shoulder into 1" steaks. Rub and smoke until tender (around internal 195-200). Basically pork steaks. Also makes great tacos (corn tortilla, avocado, pickled red onion)

I love pulled lamb shoulder - beautiful flavours (also a cheaper cut of lamb here in the UK).

I'd also recommend both/either ox and pork cheeks - both amazing flavours (one of my favs) but easier to portion for fewer people compared to a big cut.

Back