THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oklahoma Joe "Chuck wagon" smoker.

New Braunfels and Oklahoma Joe Gone
arrow.gif
by Adam on June 14, 2006
Reader Andrew Garcia asked me where he could buy a New Braunfels Smoker in South Houston. My immediate reaction was to check Home Depot, since that was where I purchased mine. To be safe, I tried to hit the NBS site, but it kept redirecting to Char-Broil's site. In fact, there was no NBS to be found. So I hit the Char-Broil site and did some poking around and finally ended up at the newsdesk. My response was quite short and didn't really address the issue. But I think we can figure out what has happened.
Hi, Adam: Yes, New Braunsfels and OkJoe were purchased by Char-Broil several years ago.
I suppose this would have been common knowledge. 2 months ago, the NBS site was still up. But since the NBS and OKJoe sites are gone now, and you cannot find a "Black Diamond" grill anywhere, one has to assume that the line of products has been stopped.
Sorry folks, it appears that New Braunfels Smoker and Oklahoma Joe no longer exists. Char-broil does have a <snip> that they are billing as a "Char-Broil/New Braunfels." I guess they wanted to keep the name around. Looks slightly similar the old Black Diamond, but not as large.

This is an awesome smoker and I have one as well. New ones cost $750 about 20 years ago and they are built with 1/4 inch rolled steel. My Chuckwagon Cooker is about 390lbs empty and does not have the vertical smoker chamber that this one shows. I will post photos and a description of the cooker later.

Basically, this company was doing great and Char-Broil bought the ChuckWagon Cooker company and laid off 170 people in 1990 or so. They ruined the design by using 1/16 inch steel and it sucks.

DJ
Thanks for bringing this thread back to light and giving me some info on it!
This pit has been sitting in my garage since I got it. No $$ to pay for sandblasting, etc...
Hoping one of my Brothers here pulls through with some tuning plates for me. Also need to get a piece of 1/4" rolled to reinforce the bottom of the firebox. (I think it's over half gone)
I have plenty of other cookers. In time I will bring this one back to life.

As far as I know, Char Broil still sells the Silver Smoker at HD. That's here I got my NB branded NBSS. Looks like the Bandera was discontinued soon after the buyout. I just saw a couple of NB branded Hondos at a store called "Cummins Tools" that sells a lot of Container Car type items.

Academy sports still sells items branded by OKJ and NB including the Banderra.

Horizon BBQ Smokers is made by the brother of the founder of OKJ or some such and a former corporate officer of that company. My understanding from talking to them and reading their website is that they build similar pits in the same tradition as OKJ.

I dunno what the point all is except that the factory in NB is gone, parts made in China now, but the brand is still around, and my NBSS has given me years of good use. Will make sure it finds itse way to a good home.

dmp

Very nice looking smoker what are the measurment of cooking chamber.? Since you have someone to weld for you Might want to consider replaceing the vent with a smoke stack

Yup those plates are comin Bro.I also have some cherry that we cut saturday that has your name on it.As soon as I am healthy enuff to stop for a visit I will see ya Farker that gave me this cold should get his tail seared on a chimney of lump.:mad:

By the way I watched this cooker for a long time and wasnt smart enuff to stop.It sat half way down the driveway to the road.Shoulda realized it was lookin for a new home.And Clark was nice when he picked it up they said they would take 50 or a hundred if I remember the story right.

Very nice looking smoker what are the measurment of cooking chamber.? Since you have someone to weld for you Might want to consider replaceing the vent with a smoke stack
Yep, need to put a stack on it for sure. Trying to cypher if I want to leave the damper "as is" or change it.

Yup those plates are comin Bro. As soon as I am healthy enuff to stop for a visit I will see ya. Farker that gave me this cold should get his tail seared on a chimney of lump.:mad:
Cool, looking forward to trying the plates. I'm 3 weeks into a farking cold and I'm thinking of more evil things about payback than you are.

I was looking for a leg for a OKJ and talked to a manager at Academy and someone at CB. One of them told me that OKJ would become a store brand for Academy. And, that NB would be also be a store brand. Don't remember what store, maybe HD.

Great find, that is close to what I am looking for. We want samples when it is fired up...:p

Mike

Back