THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

got14u

is one Smokin' Farker
Never again will I do a 12-16 hour brisket smoke. This was my first high heat brisket and let me tell ya, there is no reason to be doing over night smokes for a good end product. This one is by far the best brisket I have done. And it only took 4 hrs, yes I said 4 hours. I am doing burnt ends with the point so they are back in the smoker but the flat is resting as we speak. I started at 11 o’clock and ran the smoker at 325-350 by 3 o’clock it was ready to pull. I was figuring at least 5 hours but nope. I did inject it with a Worchester sauce, merlot wine and some granulated garlic. Rubbed with lantana of texas all purpose seasoning and a little extra black pepper. Here are the pics and if you haven’t tried a high temp brisket you should…I am a convert

DSC_00030003-1.jpg

All butchered up…This one was a *&&^& to trim but we got her
DSC_00080008.jpg

Checked the temps it was at 165 here
DSC_00010001_1.jpg

Just rested
DSC_00050005-1.jpg

Point cut for burnt ends
DSC_00060006-1.jpg

DSC_00070007_1.jpg

Good looking brisket.

I don't feel strongly about either process so I run at 275-300. I do feel that there is a depth of flavor that is missing from extreme high heat brisket but the tenderness is there for sure.

Looks great! I resemble the above comments too. I did high heat briskets there for a couple years, and have since gone back to lower heat for the flavor. There's nothing wrong with having a good product fast though!:cool:

I tried high heat brisket 325 or so. and It came out great! Took about 5 hrs .. I want to try to beat that time. now i dont stress over the temp creeping up when im trying to smoke for a longer time.. :cool:

i have to agree, despite the fact i've only done 1 HH. 8# whole packer, barely 4 hours. it was excellent.
i've always been a lonslo guy, but now?
anyway, i'm looking at it like this: i'd eat a HH tender brisket sandwich which might have a little less depth of flavor than a lonslo brisket every time, than a beef jerky sammich, which would have a TON of flavor, but be like eating a shoe. i think tender is the GATEWAY to flavor. if it ain't tender FIRST, the taste gets lost altogether.

so, if HH is losing a bit in taste, but gaining consistentcy in tender, i'm sold.

it is wreaking havoc on my comp timetable though.

i've always done 8-9 hour briskets with temps around 250-325. they always came out great. but the last time i did one several weeks ago the wind was swirling around so i had a hard time keeping the temp down. was all over the place from 300 to 380 deg. was probe soft just about 5 hrs. i would say it was the best. wife liked it so thats it.

thanks for all the comments..i think there is something about the HH that gives the bark a better flavor as well. More like a good sear on a steak. Yes a little less smokie flavor but I might try a little stronger wood next time and see. and here are the pics of the burnt ends as well..Oh and is it me or does no one really use a red wine for a injection? I thought it came off good. I might go a little less next time but I liked it

DSC_00100001.jpg

The cook time for a low & slo brisket has been the main reason I haven't been able to try one yet. With all these Hot & Fast success stories tho, I just might be able to finally do one.

Good lookin briskey btw!

Innovation, gotta love it! What am I gonna do with all the time I'm saving? It's like going fishing with dynamite, sure you are going to have a lot of fish but... for me, it's not about the end product, it's the process.

Great looking brisket! I agree that the 16 hour low and slows are a little overrated but, I also like it to take a bit longer than 4 hours just to get that life fire taste deeper into the meat, that said though, I'd never turn down one that looked that good. :becky:

Back