THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dave
Lowbass did a post a while back about having some ribs that had no rub, no sugar & sauce foil wrap, no nada, just salt. Sounded good to me so I thought I would give it a try.

Fired up the custom compact RF with some lump & pecan chunks (I'm really liking the way this thing cooks; rock steady temps and very low fuel consumption). It came up to cooking temp in 25 minutes.

2015-07-12%2011.04.23_zps3pmfgfj4.jpg

Really, just light sea salt on SL spares. After 3 hours at 275* the IT was reading 165*

2015-08-22%2016.39.51_zpsodl9olif.jpg

Put them in foil to hold in the oven at 200* for an hour until dinner.

2015-08-22%2016.40.46_zps7k3tvxtg.jpg

Dinner time:becky:

2015-08-22%2017.41.16_zpshhxzgdhb.jpg

2015-08-22%2017.44.34_zpsprka1lll.jpg

2015-08-22%2017.46.54_zpslebuc84m.jpg

Very tender and good bite through; not fall off the bone but moist and tender. And, they were very durn good with just the salt. Now, I like my rubs and occasionally like a little sweetness from a pepper jelly & foil, but there is a LOT to be said for just some pig bones & salt; definitely a do-over for us. The family all used their favorite sauces (or not); I tried a little Carolina vinegar finishing sauce I made by substituting 1/2 of the red pepper flakes called for in the recipe with Oakridge Habanero Death Dust, not that was some good chit:thumb:

Thanks for looking (and thanks to lowbass for his original post).

Very nice Dave! Those have about the same color as mine from yesterday. It sure was a nice change of pace doing simple so the pork taste shines through....they were better today then yesterday but unfortunately i could only save two bones.

I love that cooker!!!

Don't know if I could do something that simple. Almost sounds too good to be true.:shock: They do look good though and I like that cooker more every time I see it.

Don't know if I could do something that simple. Almost sounds too good to be true.:shock: They do look good though and I like that cooker more every time I see it.

I decided I'm only doing salt the next one but going to cook on some jam on both sides the last 20-30 minutes next round. Pj...aint nothing wrong with simple like this I promise! lol

Imagine some of this cooked on! Yum yum

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Braswell-Pepper-Jelly-Jalapeno-Ounce/dp/B001SAZWAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440284010&sr=8-1&keywords=jalapeno+jelly&pebp=1440284021211&perid=1YMCCGSGBJMRFNDEDGAK"]Amazon.com : Braswell Pepper Jelly, Jalapeno, 10.5 Ounce (Pack of 6) : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C0nV7ewNL.@@AMEPARAM@@51C0nV7ewNL[/ame]

Some of the best ribs I have ever had were made this way. Great lookin' grub!

Lowbass did a post a while back about having some ribs that had no rub, no sugar & sauce foil wrap, no nada, just salt. Sounded good to me so I thought I would give it a try.

Fired up the custom compact RF with some lump & pecan chunks (I'm really liking the way this thing cooks; rock steady temps and very low fuel consumption). It came up to cooking temp in 25 minutes.

2015-07-12%2011.04.23_zps3pmfgfj4.jpg

Really, just light sea salt on SL spares. After 3 hours at 275* the IT was reading 165*

2015-08-22%2016.39.51_zpsodl9olif.jpg

Put them in foil to hold in the oven at 200* for an hour until dinner.

2015-08-22%2016.40.46_zps7k3tvxtg.jpg

Dinner time:becky:

2015-08-22%2017.41.16_zpshhxzgdhb.jpg

2015-08-22%2017.44.34_zpsprka1lll.jpg

2015-08-22%2017.46.54_zpslebuc84m.jpg

Very tender and good bite through; not fall off the bone but moist and tender. And, they were very durn good with just the salt. Now, I like my rubs and occasionally like a little sweetness from a pepper jelly & foil, but there is a LOT to be said for just some pig bones & salt; definitely a do-over for us. The family all used their favorite sauces (or not); I tried a little Carolina vinegar finishing sauce I made by substituting 1/2 of the red pepper flakes called for in the recipe with Oakridge Habanero Death Dust, not that was some good chit:thumb:

Thanks for looking (and thanks to lowbass for his original post).

Thanks to you and Fwismoker for the great looking ribs. Looks like I'm going to be doing some salt spares for Labor day.

Did either of you guys salt your ribs the night before, or the day of your cook? I know salt pulls moisture out of the ribs, just wondering, thanks.

Thanks to you and Fwismoker for the great looking ribs. Looks like I'm going to be doing some salt spares for Labor day.

Did either of you guys salt your ribs the night before, or the day of your cook? I know salt pulls moisture out of the ribs, just wondering, thanks.
Mine I put on right before they went on the cooker.

Looks great. So finished IT was 165?

Yep, maybe a little higher. They were at 165* when they came off and
i wrapped them in foil to hold for an hour; might have had a little carryover heat.

Mine I put on right before they went on the cooker.

Yea, like Fwismoker I fired up the smoker and let it get close to temp then litterally hit them with some salt and directly onto the cooker.

I don't think there is anything you could do to make those ribs any prettier. I mean other than putting a few on my plate. :becky:

That little smoker is very nice, looks like it cooks very well. Ribs look great.

Did you build that cooker?

Yep http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210941

I've probably done a dozen cooks with this little sucker and really like it. Runs on regular charcoal, lump or small splits, uses very little fuel, comes up to temp in 20-30 minutes(on lump, a little longer on splits) and holds temp like a rock.

Quality meat, cooked properly, seasoned with salt and woodsmoke.....everything you need and nothing you don't!

Sweet Spot

Yep http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210941

I've probably done a dozen cooks with this little sucker and really like it. Runs on regular charcoal, lump or small splits, uses very little fuel, comes up to temp in 20-30 minutes(on lump, a little longer on splits) and holds temp like a rock.

Cool little cooker! That does hit a sweet spot for those not able to justify a trailer capable of feeding a small village! Thanks for sharing the post on the build!

Very nice lookin' ribs, too. :thumb:

Back