THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found some Zatarans, fortunately. First found some Zatarans Crab/Shrimp concentrated spice. But then found some spice bags at another store.

Fired up! Will post pics tomorrow. Be nice as this is my first shrimp boil!

IMO the key here is a good soak in the boil solution. I lived in my neighboring state for several years and saw many variations, but the ones I liked the best called for soaking Shrimp in the boil solution either before or after cooking for that extra flavor kick. I personally bring the spices up to a boil, let it cool, and soak my shrimp for a while before removing them, getting it up to heat, and cooking away. OR you can cook, cool down the boil with ice, and soak.

It isn't a seafood pot until you throw a beer in the pot...

Out west it's all about dungeness crab. I use Zattarain's, butter, salt, lemons, onions and some apple cider vinegar to help the meat separate from the shells easier.

When I feel like it, an artichoke or two will find its way into the pot.

Crab is cooked and cracked first then separated. Hard veggies and sausage is followed by corn and shrimp if I'm using any. Fresh chopped parsley is a nice touch.

Attachments

• 1545507340411.jpg
    1545507340411.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 42
Good luck RD!

Dungeness crab is my favorite, worked out of Seattle for quite a few years and when in season I could live on it!

Did two sacks of crawfish yesterday, 38# and 28#

This method takes two pots and ideally two burners.
I have an 80 quart and 100 quart
In the 80 quart fill to desired water line and bring water to boil

Once boiling add 1/2 box of table salt
2-4 handfuls of cayenne pepper (depends on the crowd)

3/4 of large container Zatarain's crawfish and shrimp boil
Let that boil for 5 minutes and taste water and add more salt if needed
Add potatoes and onions
After about 5 minutes add garlic
After about 5 minutes add sausage
After about 5 minutes add red wieners
After about 5 minutes add mushrooms
After about 5 minutes add corn on the cob
After 5 more minutes add shrimp(if desired) turn off burner and let soak for 30 minutes, then dump basket on table.
While this is going on, bring two inches of water to boil in the 100 quart pot and place cleaned crawfish in basket and into the pot. put lid on pot and watch for steam to start puffing around the lid. As soon as you see the puffing steam set a timer to 7 minutes. After 7 minutes, pull basket from steam pot and put basket into heated crawfish boil. Squeeze juice from 1 dozen lemons and drop the halved, squeezed lemons into the water and push down into water them put lid on pot and soak for 30 minutes.

I really like doing this method when boiling multiple sacks because it allows you to change the steam water out for each batch. You will notice that there is a lot of mud in the bottom of the steam pot. As was taught to me when I asked why this method versus the traditional boiling method, the question back to me was: do you want that crap in your boil water? Because it will be in there for every batch you do.

I know the OP asked about a shrimp boil and the above works for shrimp, just no steaming. But for a clean crasfish boil, follow these steps.

Robert

Back