Need some advice or just opinion.

1Gradymaci

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jerry Adams
So Im stuck on buying my next stick burner and Ive semi decided on 2..
Mill Scale and a Moberg..I wanted to keep Workhorse on the list but after talking to folks on 'The List" there are being Backed up from the beginning to really 8 plus months, but I believe there value is there if you can wait on a non set date...Best value between the 2 I can actually get, is the Moberg, I think..Bigger cook area, Double fire box and shelf..Im needing help with the collector vs the elbow reducer theory if anybody can help me know which is the better method. Sunny did not seem to think so..Sorry to babble but 4K is a lot of cash but I have looked at 10 plus smokers and settled on these.

I gotta believe you would be happy with either and the distance between the two is probably less than 50 miles. It really depends on what features and look you prefer. There are tons of little fab shops in central Texas, as you may already know, that do a great job with pits. I remember when the New Braunfels smokers were actually made along Hwy 35 in New Braunfels. It was interesting to see what he had out front of his welding shop on my way to work in San Antonio. If you are itching to get back to 6th street, that may be enough to decide. Lastly, I always thought Old Country Pits had nice stuff and when my homemade offset rusted out, they would be on the list of consideration. JMHO

You might check out Bell Fab near Tulsa. I got a 24x48 pit 3/8 inch thick steel, $950. He had it ready in a couple weeks after initial contact.

You’re splitting hairs between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. They will both run well, just pick one. I’d say pick the one you had a better conversation with.

I guess I did not make my question clear, I’m more interested in the collector on the Mill Scale bs the Elbow reducer on the Moberg.. I don’t want no Reverse Flow Smoker. Yes I talked to Tyler before they moved into there building not my kind of Rig.
Thanks

If ya want my guess, which is no different than anyone else's guess as to what air flow does inside an offset stick burner ........... is I don't like the flat end plate on either one of them.

I gotta think Moberg's noodle, which came from John Lewis, works better on the end of a propane tank, that is hemispherical.

But the Mill Scale also has a flat end plate.

Just me, but I don't like 90 degree angles when it comes to air flow and convection. There's a reason the Kettle cooks so well since 1952, and I think the shape creates convection, it does not have any 90* angles.

But that's just my wildass guess. I don't have both cookers side-by-side to compare air flow and I'm not sure I could do that, even if I had them both together.

I'm not even sure doing multiple cooks with both smokers , side-by-side , would tell ya anything.

Lynn Dollar.. I think you dead on..
I’m not trying to overthink this, but I want a Quality Offset smoker in a couple months max and both Moberg and Mill Scale can do it, I suspect due to the Higher price.. I would go with a Workhorse Fist but no one knows when they are actually going to get there pit that ordered one in the last 2 months.150 days to 175 days and the couple folks reach out to me said it’s been longer than that already before JD started giving build dates on his website.

I have a Shirley 24x36 that does everything I'll ever need but you don't want a Reverse Flow. Between Millscale and Moberg, I think I'd go with Moberg. Here is a YouTube video on his Backyard Smoker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNX69hbWmM&t=40s Unless you plan to go get it yourself, shipping costs to FL won't be cheap.
Nice to have choices.

Yea, I would go pick it up, I’m originally from Texas..
I’ve watch Matt cook on 2 Mill Scales and he pushes them but Looks like the value goes to Moberg..

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Of the two I like the Mill Scale slightly more. I've got a Franklin pit and I think the Mill Scale would be very similar. The Moberg has a baffle plate and that worries me a little as far as air flow. The baffle does let air go up and down so I don't think it'll be a problem the way it is on some pits where a hot spot is created in the middle of the grate.

You might have a hot spot right at the stack vs the Millscale having a hotspot right at the water pan shelf. Moberg does have that fully insulated firebox. It has a front shelf and paint. Mill scale has a lot of cool decorative touches. Again, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

You can’t go wrong with either one. As far as which is better???? They both obviously cook fantastic and I’d venture a guess both builders know more about air flow and convection than most anyone on this web site, unless other major traditional flow pit builders frequent this site?

I am getting my workhorse 1975 delivered today. I think it’s the best bang for the buck in a straight flow offset. That being said. A major reason I got it is the patina finish and the cowboy grill option to grill over the firebox. Can’t do that with an insulated firebox on others. I also like the over sized firebox and 3/8” build. I ordered it November 5th so mine is way delayed but part of that was my fault as I asked them
To wait to build mine until they finalized the side shelf option. That delayed me over a month. I also apparently chose economy shipping (not realizing it when I ordered it) and that has delayed it 3 weeks. So, their wait list is certainly getting longer, but it’s still not too bad. I think they are 3-4 months out now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Again, If I could get a straight answer on a time frame I would go with the workhorse, but I think the value is over worked his ability to communicate a accurate time frame, Not sure why he would just say im 2 years out when you have to pay up front..It's the anticipation that is in all of us, most understand delays, but first give real expectations and communicate and that would go a long way with me..Lang has it right,Get on the list and when your time comes up pay and we will build and ship it in 2 weeks.

You can’t go wrong with either one. As far as which is better???? They both obviously cook fantastic and I’d venture a guess both builders know more about air flow and convection than most anyone on this web site, unless other major traditional flow pit builders frequent this site?

I am getting my workhorse 1975 delivered today. I think it’s the best bang for the buck in a straight flow offset. That being said. A major reason I got it is the patina finish and the cowboy grill option to grill over the firebox. Can’t do that with an insulated firebox on others. I also like the over sized firebox and 3/8” build. I ordered it November 5th so mine is way delayed but part of that was my fault as I asked them
To wait to build mine until they finalized the side shelf option. That delayed me over a month. I also apparently chose economy shipping (not realizing it when I ordered it) and that has delayed it 3 weeks. So, their wait list is certainly getting longer, but it’s still not too bad. I think they are 3-4 months out now?

That's gotta be exciting! Congratulations!

Again, If I could get a straight answer on a time frame I would go with the workhorse, but I think the value is over worked his ability to communicate a accurate time frame, Not sure why he would just say im 2 years out when you have to pay up front..It's the anticipation that is in all of us, most understand delays, but first give real expectations and communicate and that would go a long way with me..Lang has it right,Get on the list and when your time comes up pay and we will build and ship it in 2 weeks.

And you would have a Lang…big difference than any of the smokers you are talking about.

The delivery thing is holding them back. They don’t have enough drivers for the economy shipping. Spring for priority shipping and that shaves a few weeks. They will
Likely be longer out than 3-4 months though. They are getting orders every day and growing almost exponentially.

Ps - 6 hours running the pit tonight and it’s everything they say. 5-10 degree variance left to right on bottom shelf and 25-50 hotter up top. Drafts like a freight train. Soooo easy to run

Probably not an answer to your question, but I have an Austin Smoke Works 250 gallon that I have owned for a couple of months. I have done several cooks and love this smoker. It drafts better than any other smoker I have owned. I have also owned 2 Shirleys. The craftsmanship and the welds were top notch on the Shirley. The welds are nothing special on the ASW, but the airflow is superior. My guess is that you would get the best of both worlds with the Moberg. If I ever upgrade to a 500 gal, I know Moberg will be at the top of my list. Best of luck.

Back