Need Input on Prime Rib Reheat Cook

glang58

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Traveling to Mexico from Phoenix for Thanksgiving weekend. Want to do a boneless 7lb prime rib for our guests there. Planning to cook on Tuesday and serve on Friday (Wednesday is travel). Need the experts to critique or validate my plan:

Using Green Egg, 250 until 130 internal. Ice bath, then vacuum seal and freeze all on Tuesday. Travel Wednesday and defrost in fridge upon arrival Wednesday evening. Friday, drop in sous vide at 130, allow 3-4 hours to come to temp, remove, pat dry and torch the exterior until pretty.

Sound like this will work or are there other suggestions? I don't have the equipment to cook on-site so that isn't an option.

I wouldn't let it reach more then 127F due to heat carry over, unless you are shooting for med well.

I wouldn't freeze it. Cook Tuesday, ice bath. Sous Vide on Friday. I'd also advise taking it to no more than 120 on the initial cook. If you want it to finish a little more done sous vide at 130 then hit it with the torch.

YMMV........

Anthem is roughly 2-2.5 hours from the border...Going to airport and customs, etc would be also significant time. I am not sure how you'd travel with the meat in a safe temp w/o freezing it that distance. And I am assuming he's travelling to Northern Mexico.

So, I 5th that idea

PS: Howdy Neighbor :)

Thanks for the reassurance.

We are driving, picking up friends in Scottsdale and taking a dog across the border so planning on 3.5-4 hours plus any time at the border. Also, for a number of reasons mainly involving a medical procedure the DW is having on Monday, I need to cook today (Sunday) and its now in progress.

For those that questioned the plan to freeze, I have a great cooler and not worried about keeping it at a safe fridge temp for the four hour trip, but I was apprehensive about not freezing since I need to cook Sunday and will serve on Friday. Any additional thoughts? i really appreciate the input...thought I had a decent plan but its helpful to be validated.

Slightly wrong order?

Vac Seal then ice bath?

Do that and you have absolutely no need to freeze.

Bring the egg and cook it down there?
Having cervesas while cooking is the best part to share with your friends.
IMO

Back