THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DHOGAN

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Need help, I want to be able to grill (most often) and smoke.

Torn between these two:
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
Char-Broil Oklahoma Joe's Highland Offset Charcoal Smoker

Also open to any suggestions in the $300 - $400 range.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

What Chris said...

Get a Weber in that range and you'll have more cooking space than those mentioned and can do all you want and more!

I've cooked on tons of charcoal cookers and have settled into having my BGE and a recently bought PK grill. So far I have been really happy with the PK and use it more often than my BGE.

I sold a weber gasser and weber kettle to help fund the pk. I've also cooked on an old smokey charcoal grill. I think the PK might be the most versatile for it's size. You can do a 10# pork butt on it when smoking or grill up 14 burgers or so at a time.
You definitely pay for it though. Mine ran right in the middle of our 300-400 range.

I've cooked on tons of charcoal cookers and have settled into having my BGE and a recently bought PK grill. So far I have been really happy with the PK and use it more often than my BGE.

I sold a weber gasser and weber kettle to help fund the pk. I've also cooked on an old smokey charcoal grill. I think the PK might be the most versatile for it's size. You can do a 10# pork butt on it when smoking or grill up 14 burgers or so at a time.
You definitely pay for it though. Mine ran right in the middle of our 300-400 range.

A Weber kettle or smoker will do a great job for you and will last,the company has been around for a long time and carry parts if needed.I went thru several grills in the 3-500 range that only lasted a few years before needing rebuilt and the manufactures were out of business. lessons learned the hard way

Last edited:
The akorn is my choice of the two listed. Great high heat grill and perfect for low and slow with a lot less baby sitting. I have had mine about 4 years now and no complaint other than I wish they would make a bigger version.

Dhogan, what do you have in your arsenal already???? That is going to make a difference on the suggestions for you!

Char-Griller Charcoal Grill and a Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite Propane Smoker. Looking to upgrade the arsenal starting with the grill.

For right around $400 you could get the 26" Weber kettle and the Slow n Sear. That combination is incredibly versatile and with the 26 you get a lot of capacity.

I've only used an Akorn so I can only vouch for that. I've had mine for 6 years I believe and it's still a great grill. I've cooked delicious steaks to low n slow pork butts with great results. It lacks grilling space which is the only negative I found out over time. For the price it's a great all around grill/smoker.

Kettle and pit barrel cooker. Perfectly suited tools for the job. The kettle does it all but the pit barrel is a set it forget it smoker.

I have webers and an Akorn. I love my Akorn and even though I had some issues it was because of Lowes not the Akorn. I have a 22" cook model that does everything my weber does with 80% less charcoal and the ability to crank out a delicious pizza when I am in the mood.

Back