THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papa Don

is one Smokin' Farker
One of my absolute favorite sides with BBQ is potato salad but I have never made it myself. I rely on my mother-in-law to bring it to parties or buy it at the store. Does anyone have a basic, no frills recipe to share?

I love roasted potato salad. I do like traditional, but the extra layer of flavor from roasting potatoes and onions first is just awesome.

I make the Big Bob Gibson potato salad. It's great, and easy to make. Loaned my book out to a friend, so I can't give you the recipe. Maybe someone will chime in with it. Simple ingredients, red potatoes, mayo, hard boiled eggs, and sweet pickle relish.

four (large) Idaho potatoes boiled then peeled and cubed (about the quarter inch cubes)
a dozen hard boiled eggs chopped (I like big pieces)
diced mount olive sweet petite pickles (about half of a 16 ounce jar, but you might like even more.)
One stalk celery diced (you can add moreof this to taste.)
a half to three fourths cup of mayo (add more if you want, but the intent is to be lightly coating.)
a couple tablespoons of yellow mustard
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Last edited:
I've never been a mayo-based potato salad lover for some reason. The one I like is a German potato salad with hot vinegar-based bacon dressing. Floats my boat. :wink:

2 lbs. potatoes (5 to 6 medium), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped (optional)
DIRECTIONS

Cover potatoes with water in 4-quart saucepot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.
Combine Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper in large bowl. Add potatoes, celery, onion and eggs and toss gently. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Very good stuff right here :mrgreen:sorry for the cut and paste :icon_blush:

3 lbs small new potatoes in a foil pouch with a cup or so of water and 1 tbs kosher salt. Toss on a hot grill for 20-30 mins or until tender. Remove from heat and cool for 15 mins.
Combine 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup evoo, 1/4 cup shallots, 1/4 cup parsley, and 1 1/4 diced celery ... Toss with potatoes and cool. While cooling mix up your dressing:
3/4 cup mayo
6 tbs heavy cream
3 tbs vegetable oil
1 clove garlic (grated or minced extra fine)
2 tbs sweet onion (chopped fine)
3 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Fold dressing into potatoes (start with 1/2 the dressing as you may not need it all) and add chives

Once cool mix with dressing and chives

This is a great one by a brethren wolfpit

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzjNgVVcPMk"]Potato Salad Recipe - Grilled Potato Salad Recipe - The BEST - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the best recipe you will ever find for potato salad:

1) Cut up some potatoes so that they are in 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes.
2) Heat your oven to 350 then roast the potatoes until they are nice and crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
3) Cool the potatoes to room temperature in a large bowl.
4) Cut up some onions and celery. Make sure you cut more than you think you need.
5) Add enough mayo or miracle whip to to lightly coat the potatoes. Still until mixed.
6) Add some celery and onions and stir.
7) Taste.
8 ) Add salt and pepper and stir.
9) Taste.
10) If needed, add more mayo or MW, celery, onions, salt or pepper.
11) Repeat steps 9 and 10 until satisfied with the taste.
12) Cool in refrigerator for 4 or more hours.

Guaranteed to make the best potato salad you will ever eat.

Back