THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank goodness it was a great piece of beef. Juicy, tender awesome flavor. Seasoning spot on. Bride said perfect. She's sincere, she likes her steak medium. Kind of like when she burns the bottom of a biscuit, cookie or cornbread. I like burnt bottom bread, she likes rare bread. I missed my mark 12 degrees. Planned on removing at 130 and all of a sudden it was 142. This happens more than I like. She's happy though. That's positive.

Last edited:
That do look good...

Those flat irons punch above their weight, don't they.

I don’t recall seeing a chuck eye steak (haven’t looked hard though) but just looking at the description I’d think it would be close in taste/texture. Obviously there was plenty left. Saving for small cubes for chili mixed with ground beef, someday

I don’t recall seeing a chuck eye steak (haven’t looked hard though) but just looking at the description I’d think it would be close in taste/texture. Obviously there was plenty left. Saving for small cubes for chili mixed with ground beef, someday

I think both cuts are good. The variance between individual animals and the cooking method could make it go either way...

It's darn sure high-end chili meat. Then again, I think chili is high-end food...

Full disclosure. This was yellow tagged 40% off so cost was manageable. Think I paid 12 and change. In the Wikipedia link one of the multiple names for flat iron mentions clod. Before boxed beef and brisket there was slow cooked Shoulder clod(if I recall bbq history correctly*) Tracking that logic flat iron is an ancestor of an historical cut of shoulder clod. Just more manageable for a backyard cook. Clods are humongous or so I’ve read. I’ve never seen one.

* it’s early be kind if I am off in recall:/))

Back