THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

oh man, I could use a plate of that right now. I can't remember the last time I had CFS

Chicken fried and Country fried depends on the gravy you serve over it.

White gravy = Chicken fried
Brown gravy = Country fried

Was never a fan of the white gravy. One day i was in the mood for chop steak which is cubed steak like CFS, but not breaded and served with fried onions and smothered with brown gravy. So, i decided to bread the cubed steak and deep fry it and top with fried onions and brown gravy served with either mashed or fries smothered in brown gravy. So good. Not sure if it qualify's for CFS though.

I missed this. Thanks for clarifying the difference. Ive actually never seen it served with brown gravy. But most diners in my area call it country fried and still serve it with a white gravy.

Last edited:

In my neck of the woods brown gravy ain’t an option. Maybe that’s why I’ve always heard and used chicken fried steak. Actually we just say “chicken fry.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yea brown gravy just ain’t right…. Not on CFS.

Well, sure. Then it wouldn't be CFS. It would be CFS instead.... :mrgreen:

Not sure I've ever noticed it with brown gravy. I feel like I have seen it as 'country fried' just as often as 'chicken fried' and now I want it, with brown gravy...just to see...

Well, sure. Then it wouldn't be CFS. It would be CFS instead.... :mrgreen:

Not sure I've ever noticed it with brown gravy. I feel like I have seen it as 'country fried' just as often as 'chicken fried' and now I want it, with brown gravy...just to see...

Don't forget to top it with some fried onions!

Back