Nashville Hot Chicken?

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
CINCHOUSE and I've had a hankerin' for some fried chicken (yeah, we're on a real "health kick" :roll: :shock:). I did a search, and found a couple of thoughts... but nothing real recent. Anyone else mess around with this as of late?

Ever since watching Sean Brock visit Prince's Hot Chicken, I've wanted something similar.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9ztecYHFwU"]Sean Brock Visits Prince's Hot Chicken on Season 2 of The Mind of a Chef - YouTube[/ame]

We just watched the Ed Lee clip about Fried Chicken & Waffles... and I'm seriously thinking about giving it a try.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ZkeajFPig"]Chef Edward Lee | Fried Chicken and Waffles - YouTube[/ame]

I figure I can take the fried chicken from Ed Lee and add the hot spicy "coating" to take it to the "next level." Recipe 1 | Recipe 2

I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas, experiences...

Anyone?

Guess I'll have to go to MSU - "Make $h!t Up!"

Spice Mixture for the Hot Sauce/Slurry at the end - waiting for about 1/2-3/4 cups of hot oil from the skillet:
* 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
* 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2017-03-26%2016.03.43_zpspofko2mz.jpg

"Adobo Poaching Liquid," before it comes up to a simmer:
2017-03-26%2016.08.51_zpsgice63qe.jpg

The bird waits:
2017-03-26%2016.12.42_zpspnq182ps.jpg

I just got back from Nashville. Had a blast! I got my hot chicken freak on at Hattie B's. They had mild, medium, hot and shut the cluck up. I enjoyed the hot best.

By the way, their banana pudding is outstanding!!! Just in case you want to make dessert:

Ingredients:
2 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
2 1/2-cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 egg yolks
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
5 large, ripe bananas, sliced
One 14-ounce box vanilla wafers

Directions:
Combine the evaporated milk, sugar, flour, and salt in a 3- quart saucepan. Heat over medium- low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.

Lightly beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Add a ladleful of the milk mixture to the eggs, and whisk together to temper the eggs. Place the tempered egg mixture in the saucepan, and continue to whisk and cook until incorporated, 2 to 3 minutes.

Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the butter and the vanilla. Transfer the pudding to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap (laying the wrap directly on surface of pudding so a skin doesn’t form); cool in the refrigerator for 2-hours.

Place 11/2 cups of vanilla wafers in a Ziploc plastic bag, seal, and use a rolling pin to crumble them into coarse pieces. Place layers of sliced bananas in the bottom of a large glass trifle dish. Top with a layer of vanilla wafers and half of the vanilla pudding; repeat with another layer of bananas, wafers, and the remaining pudding, then top with whipped cream and garnish with the crumbled wafers.

Serves 6 to 8

Whip Cream Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Beat the cream in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until it becomes frothy. Add the sugar and vanilla; continue beating until the cream holds soft peaks. Do not over beat. Refrigerate the cream, covered with plastic wrap, for no more than 1 hr of not using immediately.

Marc, you need more cayenne.:twisted:

I've got a dollar that says you're right.

That said, CINCHOUSE and I agreed to try "the recipe" this time, so we'd have a place to depart from next time.

I'm thinking closer to 3-3.5Tbs cayenne next time... but that's just me... off the cuff...

*Exhale through pursed, burning lips* - That. Was good.

Pictures look a bit dark - that's a Nashville Hot Thigh and a "Regular Old Fried" Leg with some of last night's smoked mac & cheese and some steamed green beans.

2017-03-26%2019.17.45_zps3vb432jx.jpg

Excellent favor in the meat. Ed Lee wasn't wrong! Poach the bird! After that, Thermoworks kept us out of trouble as it gave us good temps on the bird in the oil.

When it comes to the slurry/dredge, we're on the fence. We really liked the heat and the flavor... but we've just spent the last 5 minutes discussing improvements:
- We want it to "kick our arse(s)," but with more garlic, onion, and more of the citrusy or vinegary hit of the pepper instead of just the dark, rich smokey heat.
- Additionally, we're going back to Sean Brock's Heritage fried chicken recipe, where he adds some corn meal (IIRC) to add some additional crunch and texture to the breading.

Hey, if we combine Sean Brock, Ed Lee, and Nashville Hot Chicken... sounds like a winner to me!

Munchkin loved the fried chicken, and... surprise, surprise... hit the mac & cheese hard.

Sorry. I've been drinking a bit, and this might be a little blurry.
2017-03-26%2019.31.04_zpsyffpmbxl.jpg

Thanks, Shaggy. I used Hattie B's and a couple of others (noted in the original posts) to put together a plan for the Hot Chicken portion of things.

Thanks for the interest and for hanging in there with me on a random Sunday evening. Kick some tail this week.

Last edited:
Back