THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think this is a great idea for all the reasons everyone stated above. What would be great to do with the invitational thing is to eventually have something like the PGA does and have qualifying rounds. In fact, the PGA actually calls it the "Q" School--that sounds perfect to me. :wink:

It's also a series as I learned yesterday. I'd think that you'd have to commit to the majority of events or arrange for a suitable replacement. Tom is also right, that you need to be able to vend at $10/per plate. I hadn't planned on it, but I ended near the Walmart where Mike Davis was doing his appearance yesterday. He had his pit going, and another large cooker that I suspect was borrowed or provided to manage feeding the masses. He got there early to set up, and had to remain for several hours....in what was about to become a madhouse. I hauled ass to get out of the parking lot for ground zero of NASCAR mania!

For a first year invitational event to test the waters, I don't see a problem with being selective and taking the best resume possible. Just about every name I've heard has some credentials. If I'm Prilosec, I'm looking at that. I'm also looking at putting on a show for the fans. I think I'd rather have them see the big motorhome with pull behind rig, than me pulling up in a truck and unloading a couple of WSMs and EZ-UP.

This is about business, promoting BBQ, and KCBS. I'm fine with the way they've chosen to start.

Jorge brings up a number of good points especially when you add in Merl's.

This is a first year event put together by sponsor companies and not the KCBS or MMA... It is their choice as to whom they invite and not up to us to tell them how to do it... These companies are using this event to advertise the products they make, it's their money... No offense to Jorge, but if I was waiting to see a big BBQ/NASCAR event and saw as Jorge put it "me pulling up in a truck and unloading a couple of WSMs and EZ-UP" I would be very disappointed and that would reflect directly on the products and the sponsors...

It is my hope that they make this an open event next year and that the invitational events this year is just a foundation for the future.

MMA is not involved in this program and very distant from any part of it.

This is a program by Prilosec and Nascar. They met with folks at Lakeland. They had some contacts with Texas Rib Rangers, Dr. BBQ and talked to Lotta Bull. It went from there. Yes it is only invitational. There is talk next year about some open competitions if this year pays off.

This is what we wanted for KCBS a national brand. We have been given a gift to go with a program which will put our name out as the premier national bbq organization. This is great for KCBS and will be good for all members in the future, I hope.

Merl

So this was NOT the Nascar affiliated event that MMA talked about at the banquet?

They will not be able to go backwards, once they put on a huge show with trailers and large vending set ups, that is what everyone is going to expect from here out. If this works I am sure they will always keep it the same, so if your rig isn't pulled by a MACK, don't plan on ever attending. jmo

. No offense to Jorge, but if I was waiting to see a big BBQ/NASCAR event and saw as Jorge put it "me pulling up in a truck and unloading a couple of WSMs and EZ-UP" I would be very disappointed and that would reflect directly on the products and the sponsors...

Thanks for pointing out my poor choice of words. I believe there is a team involved that does cook on WSMs, and my understanding of their past accomplishments is that they are very qualified.

In the world of NASCAR with the huge transporters, oceans of RVs, etc. a gathering of EZ-UPs would be very underwhelming to most folks. That's closer to what I should have said.

I'll stop now, since I don't have any more feet to insert in my mouth.

It is my hope that this Series becomes a come one, come all event. If they want to hire big teams to vend in a parking lot - that's fine. I certainly understand business and promotion.

If vending and promoting products to race fans is the objective here, what does this have to do with KCBS Sanctioned cookoffs? Does a $10 BBQ plate served by a Great Competitor in a parking lot want to make me join the KCBS and start cooking in competitions or judging?

"By Invitation Only" has such an elitist ring to it, and doesn't reflect the grass root supporters of the KCBS, or NASCAR for that matter. That's all I am saying.

As far as the resume, I guess I have my work cut out for me. That's okay, because I want to earn an invitation to the shows (mostly Jack and AR). If the criteria is based on the rig, I guess I better get to work buying a fancy rv and a slick pit.

I had the connections, but I guess I didn't have what they looked for either. Must be my rig isn't big enough....

From a KCBS member point of view, I don't know how this is good for us? It's limited to who is invited and how do we as members benefit? Especially when deserving teams are overlooked for teams that know somebody?

Now just to declare everything... Even if I did get an invite, I am not sure if I could of made them all anyway. So I hope that these select teams show up at all of the events, or it will be holding others from the membership down.

I know I would of loved to have hung my Cancer Sucks! banner at a NASCAR event. Maybe I need a marketing company? So next year I can be more deserving.

Thanks for pointing out my poor choice of words. I believe there is a team involved that does cook on WSMs, and my understanding of their past accomplishments is that they are very qualified.

In the world of NASCAR with the huge transporters, oceans of RVs, etc. a gathering of EZ-UPs would be very underwhelming to most folks. That's closer to what I should have said.

I'll stop now, since I don't have any more feet to insert in my mouth.
Man I feel like such a loser now pulling up in my 99' ford van with 195K on it packed to the roof with 3 wsm, 2 second hand ezups, coiple of coolers and boxes full of crap:icon_blush::tongue:

They will not be able to go backwards, once they put on a huge show with trailers and large vending set ups, that is what everyone is going to expect from here out. If this works I am sure they will always keep it the same, so if your rig isn't pulled by a MACK, don't plan on ever attending. jmo
I don't think they would work backwords either... If it were me, I would see the future to be an open event and ALSO the 'big show' as well as vending...

I could see it as a Friday/Saturday Open with the GC/RGC moving on to compete with the big boys... I think that would be cool... JMHO...

I don't know all of the specific criteria they were looking at when working on invitations. I do believe having the ability to vend, your ranking, and having a visually appealing setup was a big part of it. Having a monster rig pulled by a Mack is not a requirement, trust me. They were also looking for a commitment which involved a lot of travel and a lot of time. Must arrive and be ready to sell by Thursday morning, can't leave until Sunday. And the spots they are setting up on is prime real estate according to what I was told. The same spots the teams will be using are sold to commercial vendors for around $40k for the event. With that in mind it would be pretty prohibitive to have an open division as it is now.

IMO to see this in a negative light is a little short-sighted. How can exposing competition barbecue to hundreds of thousands of people in a weekend be bad for our "sport" or whatever it is we call it? I don't get it...

I hope they don't have too many EZ-UPs out at TMS today. The home weather station just recorded a gust of 62 MPH, and sustained winds have been in the high 20-30 MPH range.

Edit: And unfortunately for me, the wind isn't out of the north....since I'm driving down to San Antonio later.

Back