THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have the excel 20 it is same thing it was just rebranded for sale over here it is a good bbq`r but I would suggest using metal tape on the doors to help with the lack of seal. I have had severeal overnight cooks on it and it has produced some good food for me. I am going to order a guru for it later this month.

Is it worth changing from my Brinkmann Gourmet Green.

I have the excel 20 it is same thing it was just rebranded for sale over here it is a good bbq`r but I would suggest using metal tape on the doors to help with the lack of seal. I have had severeal overnight cooks on it and it has produced some good food for me. I am going to order a guru for it later this month.

Yes I noticed the doors not sealing well. Anyhow, Costo is selling it for $99 down from $199 . . .I have a Brinkmann Gourmet I bought for $59 at Lowes and I have modified and works very well. I would consider the Napoleon Apollo 3 in 1 Smoker as Costco is closing them out at $99.00. Lots of perks. . .vents on the top. . .vent on the bottom. . heavier gage metal overall . . . just don't know if they are worth changing from my Brinkmann Gourmet Green. What ya think?

Dude, that's a $400.00 smoker. If you can get it for $99.00, get three!

I have the ProQ Frontier (that's the 18.5" model) with three stackers and I love it. I used to use it all the time until I built my UDS. Now, the poor thing just sits in the corner with its cover...

Still, it's a fantastic smoker and well worth the money you'll pay for it.

I know it's a grill and a smoker, but what's the third function?

Think they are talking about the number of stacks.

I have one and I believe that they are only on sale in Texas. I would jump on it fast. There is a u tube video comparing to WSM. It stacks up very well against it.

Retail it's almost $400

I have the ProQ Frontier (that's the 18.5" model) with three stackers and I love it. I used to use it all the time until I built my UDS. Now, the poor thing just sits in the corner with its cover...

so why not just send $50-75 and build a UDS and be done with it :doh: :confused:

so why not just send $50-75 and build a UDS and be done with it :doh: :confused:

Some people like the "manufactured" look of a production model smoker. AND the stackers make it more versatile. It's easier to manage multiple meats on the different levels when you can pull one of the rings to work on the food and keep the others cooking.

I built the UDS because I wanted a grill I could lay a couple of full slabs of ribs on. The 18.5" Frontier is just too small a grill area for what I like to do.

I've had mine almost 3 years(pro-q 20excel). I wouldn't bother with a guru, unless you make sure you have every orifice of the smoker sealed. I keep meaning to try some sort of gasket material on the doors, but the 3 inch wide foil tape seems to do the trick to seal up the rings. It's a great cooker, and for $100 it's a steal.

If I could get one for $99. ,I'd buy 3. They're $399. here. I have a 10 year old Napoleon Apollo that is a pedestal mounted 20"kettle with a chimney starter built in. I love it, but it's rusting out.

Good Advise

Dude, that's a $400.00 smoker. If you can get it for $99.00, get three!

Still, it's a fantastic smoker and well worth the money you'll pay for it.

Going in the morning to buy one at COSTO for $99.00.
Might buy 3 and sell 2 on Ebay for $249.00

smokers.jpg

Last edited:
Great cookers. There's a team in AZ that beat the three top KCBS cooks in ribs in a late 2009 contest.....on a Pro Q Excel 20 (Napoleon).

I think that's proof enough that these things rock!

That's Proof Enough For Me

Great cookers. There's a team in AZ that beat the three top KCBS cooks in ribs in a late 2009 contest.....on a Pro Q Excel 20 (Napoleon).

That's Proof Enough For Me! I was at Costo when they opened and this Costco had one left. Brought and it is fired up and smoking two whole chickens, a slab of baby backs. I really like the fire grate in the bottom. Sits up about 3 inches from the bottom and there are 3 air flow grates on the sides. Working to keep the temp up to about 225 to 250. . .have to watch the coals and wood. Once is gets going, think it will maintain a constant heat. Using the grill rack just about the water pan with the lid. Everything fits well there. I may take out the water pan the last hour or so to get more direct heat on the meats.

Thanks for all the good comments that convinced me to buy this puppy. I found 2 more units at another Costco in stock. No kidding, I may buy them and sell them. :thumb:

Now I have some experience on this puppy

Now I have some experience on this puppy. Did a brisket but think I made a mistake by leaving out the center section of the smoker and it put the brisket to low and the temp was 250 degrees and stayed there for 4 hours. I checked the meat and the temp was 165. Took it off and wrapped in in tin foil and put it back on for 2 more hours. Temp was 195 degrees. Took it off and wrapped in it a towel and placed it in the ice cooler for an hour. Meat was not tender. . .had no smoke ring . . .used mesquite wood to smoke.

Going to try again next weekend. To hot in Texas to be out side this week again. Temp 104 + outside everyday.

Gotta 3 stack Pro q excel 20. I like it, not a do all end all, but a good smoker. Got all for 250, free shipping on Ebay (buy it now, I did). Haven't seen it for that again. Like expatpig said "If I can get them for $99, I'd buy 3." Me too.:thumb:

Gotta 3 stack Pro q excel 20. I like it, not a do all end all, but a good smoker. Got all for 250, free shipping on Ebay (buy it now, I did). Haven't seen it for that again. Like expatpig said "If I can get them for $99, I'd buy 3." Me too.:thumb:

Bluetang, think that is what I learned. Gotta stack all three. It cooked to fast by leaving out the middle section. If it cools down here in Texas in the next week or so going to do another one. I don't have covered area at the house. Heat almost as hot enough to cook with out wood. :thumb:

BTW. . .have you heard of Chuck Eyes? Been reading up on the cut of meat and got to talk to the butcher about getting some.

Love this Apollo Smoker

Bluetang, think that is what I learned. Gotta stack all three. It cooked to fast by leaving out the middle section. If it cools down here in Texas in the next week or so going to do another one. I don't have covered area at the house. Heat almost as hot enough to cook with out wood. :thumb:

BTW. . .have you heard of Chuck Eyes? Been reading up on the cut of meat and got to talk to the butcher about getting some.

Yes, I bought a pack of Chuck Eyes at Krogers about a month ago. Not bad. . .had some gristle, but the butcher said, he would cut it better next time for me.

I am really getting to like this Apollo Napoleon Smoker. Last Sat was my birthday. . .thank you, thankyouverymuch, and I cooked a 10.5 lb trimmed brisket. Used all three stacks. . .weather was about 73 the afternoon high. This time I marinaded the brisket in mesquite marinade, juice of one large lime, Worcestershire, fresh chopped garlic, onions and sprinkled with Texas brisket rub in the frig for 18 hours. Started the smoker at 6am and put the brisket on at 7am. After 7 hours the inside meat temperature was about 170. Took it off and placed it in a large turkey roasting aluminum pan with handles. . .covered it in foil and put it back on the smoker.

After 2 hours the inside temperature was 195. Took it off and placed it in a cold oven to set for 1 1/2 hours. Brisket had the nice red smoke ring

david_70_bd%203.jpg

All in attendance said it was the best I have smoked and perhaps some of the best they have eaten.

My 18 month old Granddaughter, MuRae liked it. . gave a thumbs up for some more.
david_70_bd%2013.jpg

Nice going:thumb: Sounds to me like your sailing smoothly with it. Nice looking brisket too. What a cutie you have there!

Back