THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P

PeterB

I've just obtained an old Kamado from my mother-in-law's backyard. Been rusting away for many a year. I thought at first it was an Imperial Kamado as that's what it says on the iron top vent. BUT, then I found this forum, and also a couple other interesting websites y'all pointed me to like that naked whiz fella. Anyway, I think it's a Sazco, BUT it's not exactly. Yes it's kinda like one, but the draft door opening is raised, not flush, and there's no nice aluminum Sazco draft door. The band / rings are Sazco, but it's missing the upright / to hold it open, and the side loop handles. The nice Sazco base is also missing and it was on a rusty early BGE nest. And the inside is glazed, and has two lips. One very near the top with an 18" grate on it, and one a bit more than half way down with a 15" grate on it. Weird. Like they made a light version for low heat or something. It looks very much like C Rocke's little red riding hood in an old post. And I'm working on the restoration. I took off the rusty bands as you see, and will either get a BGE spring loaded one, or clean these up and paint them. I already bought a perfect fit heavy terra cotta pot and cut out a vent square to match the draft hole, and got an 18" weber grate for the top. And I made a draft door and frame out of some scrap metal. I'll just silicone that on later. I'm still looking for a 12" grate to place halfway down into the flower pot. I saw Norco's fix with the blue glazed pot inside. But I fear lead in glaze and went terra cotta. I hope this thing is glazed with lead free glaze itself! though I will not have direct fire on it - hence the terra cotta liner pot. So, I'd be mighty grateful for any leads or suggestions! Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC02334.jpg
    DSC02334.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC02337.jpg
    DSC02337.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC02336.jpg
    DSC02336.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC02335.jpg
    DSC02335.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what it is, but it's beautiful, has it even been used- the inside still with glaze and all. I just did a rehab on a Kamado brand Kamado- I posted some pics in a thread on this forum. My bands have held up well after removing the old paint and using some high heat paint form HD.

My bands are pretty rusted, worse on the inside. Pitting is rather deep in spots. Tried to see if a large BGE band would fit, but alas its an inch too long, and a few mm too wide. I think I'll be able to still use the original bands despite the pitting.

Project Sazco restoration and table build - about complete.

OK - after much fuss and weekends gone - it's done! AND I found another little funny Kamado in the process at an old BBQ shop here. It's a first gen Grill Dome - India made one - small size - got it cheap!. Anyway The Sazco-type Kamado (I'm still not convinced it's a Sazco - it's something similar though) - I wire-wheeled the bands, broke a hinge mount trying to adjust it for tight fit lid spacing, welded it, painted them, made a strut from scrap, made a draft door from an old phone jack and steel plate, and new handle from a piece of mesquite. And since I had no firebox, I found a perfect fit New England Pottery 16" thick wall Terra Cotta pot at the Home Despot. Then cut out a square hole in the bottom for draft access, and put 3 firebricks in it on end - in a triangular way - to hold up the coal grate (Weber), then got an 18" Weber grate for the top - nice fits. The table was a progression. Guided by the table pages on the naked whiz site - it's an amalgamation of a couple designs I saw there . I used Cheap knotty Cedar 2x4's and Cheap Cedar Dogeared fence boards. And Travertine tiles to sit the Kamados on. Now, do I finish the table with polyurethane? Or leave it weather - naturally - like Cedar does?

Attachments

• DSC02338.jpg
    DSC02338.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC02339.jpg
    DSC02339.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC02343.jpg
    DSC02343.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC02344.jpg
    DSC02344.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 181
Fine job there! I be jealous. Don't have any pointers toward your finishing the wood though.

Got one that looks just like it. My Dad got it about 40 yrs ago when he was a longshoreman in Long Beach, had a guy going to Japan pick it up and when the ship came back brought it back for him, he only used it twice. When he moved from Santa Maria, CA to OR, asked him if he wanted and he said take it. Love that thing cooks great. There was a round ceramic piece that set on top of the ceramic part that holds the coals. Used it so much it broke into pieces and just got a small grate to replace it. The side piece that you used the pot for broke but just used bailing wire and put it back together. Never thought about painting it, just a faded orange from the original paint.

Also noticed from your picture that yours is smooth on the outside, mine is dimpled, don't know what type it is, also has two hinge arms. All I know is it works great. Like the stand and table you made, thought about making one like that, nice to have a table to work with.

It's NOT a Sazco! It's a Diem Kamado! Weird huh?

So, I was looking around more because I just couldn't stand this not being exactly like the Sazco I see here and there. I finally found it. It's a Diem Kamado - that Richard Johnson (of Pioneering Kamado Fame in Southern Calif.) made in the 1960's - of a Corning ware like material from Rhodesia, until the supply ran out. So it's nice unit! Here's an old ad photo.... And thanks for all the compliments!

Attachments

• Diem_Kamado_med.large.jpg
    Diem_Kamado_med.large.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
Back