My UDS, here in the UK

ElChigglamente

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hello from the UK. I only learned quite recently that what we call barbequeuing here is what's known as grilling in the US. I was interested in learning about 'proper' bbq so ended up here. With the info on this site I've nearly finished building a UDS and thought I'd share my progress.

I begged an empty 45 gal (55 US gal) drum from a local company. It had had hydraulic fluid in it. No lid so I had to cut the top off. Before I did so, I welded 3 pegs onto the rim, and brazed loops onto the body, so I could be sure everything lined up correctly after cutting.
y4mh3gy39IWrS3nfaMLWbVIEX7QGkNT4vzmx3a9yWOuFpWrFHJkh78BcrpMChnyDWWtCl9CBQlGgLWrgJobyk_il01RHXP4X7gcvM58toezkEsa0TVHq9UsQjcsGgrg5hVTL5LvBuIUIxUim_88PmaaKv3AIe8Q13dlaacFTIBi2ow7hciumUcjhhjknWw1S-EnkkHXR9dqHSaf6TW0UZmyng

y4mxPjNEDyvc5VOOdsIE5EMmoVQW7NHKT3NcsKi0UgXGudkq_FS3YLRJjkz1k9mq9rNkOWLaD0GG5SSnCR9zXyLGhWStzAuLkmf085b4TD5xmTnvMBs-iOTlc4sWn7r5Vu9ARKMKe0XVqRKnWxcrdx5j7Vebg56odQpsjKtYHPOgIyrca4dxPQhJlog-qPhQS4e0HJLE1yhgziLqd6s8Yqg8w

I had a couple of fierce fires in the drum to burn out all the nasties (I hope). I made a fire basket, based around an old basketball hoop. It's 7 inches deep, on 3 inch legs - so it sits an inch above the air holes I drilled near the bottom of the drum.
y4mNgFjL1xt-8pDq8DLgjnDq87Jc0Eta0_JEXKGRU5HOUm4XFTUn0vwArzSUL7mjApq7ACecI4GeGO_ZWUvY6HISDDjB0AZph_9KOnRM2xqT6gyVaDILwN3d0obkHO-M91gqAoSggPMGW_5lPLdQAm5AQxeJA9upBQTszOGfOtA6_-tRcmuJG8YMXoJ54vhjmPxXWqz6j8_pHOLqQQd6wyMRQ

From previous experience I know that it's easy to cut yourself on an oil drum so I wanted a way to make it safe. I cut the ends off 49 spent .308 rifle cases and then split them. After flaring the top of the drum slightly, I fitted the cases all round the rim. I'm pretty proud of that idea, I have to admit. But, of course, then the lid no longer fitted properly, so I had to cut off the pegs that I'd taken great trouble to weld on.
y4mtwBzklGQ53tHlqZlAkF8NjOyoWeYPqVLoXMUK6kCi2mSB07Nw17QswpbhbA3egaGLnX4go37SrrQSuCOyosIP0fNOt-qsik0qD57PutRGOnAtLyLBIBqib9SZZgyowRf81h-xhO2uXfVGz-SucmATN-mSxeXzCqvrwCKU23YCH7Iixl3NROvtnrz206i2i6d8w7cOjXF7KiqHrbMACvy4w

I think I'll get some fire rope to put round the rim of the drum, to make a tight seal.

Today I fitted the ball valves. Lesson learned - a 1 inch ball valve requires a hole that's bigger than an inch! So I should have bought a bigger drill bit.

y4mL9m5oDy1sm74LEezk_7lorrIVdY5BdnpG_o8q8TLODFFpBPbnc5ofbJ6GW0gJ1AwtMbzwfLMQCRFBtnz19rB2aOvoXcAe8ZGiLVUqmLMEsJOD2BkJ3Fea_JqMJN1ZO6rA2dm_Vn52PPtlGGOWefZlSHXnJ-vJ-a9sWi-xk50h1h_lT9Q1SpoKeqo7WesF9QYK5MuUXhenOUh9Ba4_AeK7w

I coated the inside of the drum with vegetable oil and, right now,there's a half full basket of charcoal burning inside. Even though the lid isn't finished yet, I can see that it's going to hold a pretty constant temperature. It's been burning 4 hours now.

I haven't fitted the thermometer yet. Somewhere I read that it should go between the top and bottom grills. But elsewhere I've read that it should go just below the bottom grill. Any advice?

After that, it's just buying a couple of grill racks and fitting a couple of handles. If it works, I might even paint it.

Thanks for all the great advice here.

I saw a post a good while back from a gentleman in Netherlands that used a UDS to make some awesome BBQ. I wish I remembered his name and saved the thread.

While grilling vs. barbecuing may be an issue in Europe, there are some people over there that do a wonderful job with traditional BBQ and it looks like you are off to a good start too!

Good effort mate, show us your first cook when you do it

Back